Rhinoplasty: Alar Reduction + Your Opinions? (photo)

Hello everybody! I am a 24 year old Vietnamese woman. I want a rhinoplasty and would like your opinions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Anyway, I know that I want alar reduction to make my nose look smaller and slimmer. I feel that my nose base is too large and overwhelms my small face. Since my nose tip is bulbuous, would you recommend a tip plasty also? Or maybe I just need alar reduction? I am fine with my bridge and the rest of my face. I just do not like my big flared nostrils.

Rhinoplasty: Alar Reduction + Your Opinions?

+1

Alar base reduction and tip reduction performed together would be a better choice than performing one or the other.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Best advise is to obtain ONLY in person opinions for ethnic rhinoplasty or tip rhinoplasty with alar base reductions. 

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

With Asian noses, many people dislike the nostril flaring that occurs with smiling.  Narrowing the nostrils is very common along with narrowing of the nasal tip with better definition.  From the photos you provided, the nostrils appear to hang down on the sides and you may benefit from lifting them slightly along with narrowing them.  If you are ok with the bridge height, then there is no reason to augment it.  However, I would recommend an in-person consultation with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  Computer morphing will also greatly help you see what you can look like with surgery.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Asian nose and rhinoplasty

+1

I think that raising your dorsal height will help improve your nasal proportions and narrow the look of your nose combined with tip work and base reduction.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty for asian nose

+1

And alar plasty can be performed under local anesthesia, which would simply narrow the nostril  width.  A tip plasty  would narrow the actual  tip by suturing the tip cartilages together to narrow the overall tip of the nose. Placing an implant on the bridge would give the  dorsum more height which gives the illusion of the more slim and narrow nose.

+1

Alar reduction is certainly a good option for you and will reduce the width and flare of your nostrils. If you choose not to augment your nasal bridge there will be a somewhat limited ability to project and refine your tip and keep the upper, middle and lower portions of your nose balanced. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

I would suggest you consider a full rhinoplasty to narrow your bony nasal pyramid along with a tip plasty and plumping grafts. I prefer not to alter the shape of the nostril at the time of the original rhinoplasty. I wait until the tip has settled and presented itself to the point that I feel comfortable taking this step. Why do I stage this? First of all it is not reversible so if one takes this step it must be done as precisely as possible. Secondly, when I change the projection, orientation and shape of the nasal tip it will change the shape of the nostril in a way that is unpredictable which harkens back to my first point. Finally it is a patient friendly step, can easily be done under straight local, with minimal bruising, swelling and post op discomfort. As usual see at least 3 experienced facial aesthetic specialists and look at their results critically. Pick the one you feel most comfortable with.  Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction

+1

Hi,

What I would suggest is a Alar rim reduction to reduce the flare of your nostrils. You can also have an intra-sill reduction to reduce the width. See Link Below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Bulbous Tip Asian Lady

+1

I encourage you to have the nasal base narrowed and the tip refined. Consider augmenting the low bridge; increasing projection of the bridge will make that part of your nose appear narrower, more defined, and proportional to the rest of your nose.