Is Removal of the Breast Capsule Necessary After Only 3 Months? (photo)

I am having my silicone implants (unders) removed after only having them for 3 months because my body isn't adjusting well to them. I am having back pain, neck pain, headaches, costochondritis, etc. No CC or anything wrong with the implants. They are soft and move in the pocket well. I want them out. My PS recommended removing them and leaving the capsule with no drains. I'm fine with that, but have also heard that that may cause problems later. Will the muscles heal? Will the capsule resorb?

Removing implants without a capsulectomy

+2

As long as the implant was not ruptured there is really no need to remove the capsule.  It will eventually shrink down with out the implant being in place.  Removal of the capsule would only increase your risk of bleeding.  

Is Removal of the Breast Capsule Necessary After Only 3 Months?

+1

The sooner the implants are removed, the more likely the return to the preoperative anatomy.  If the capsules are thin and pliable without rupture of an implant, capsule removal would not be necessary.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Removal of the Breast Capsule Necessary After Only 3 Months?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the concerns you have after breast augmentation surgery. In my opinion, there is no indication to remove the breast implant capsules, assuming the capsule is soft and asymptomatic.

Best wishes for a smooth procedure and results you are pleased with.

Removing breast capsule?

+1

At three months presumably if the capsules are soft should resorb after removal of the implants. They do not always have to be removed.

+1

You have had an excellent result and there is absolutely no correlation between your back pain, neck pain, etc. and your implants.  However, if psychologically it will satisfy you to have them removed, yes there is no need to have the capsules removed as well, especially if they are soft.  I would leave them in place because there is a good chance that you will regret having had your implants removed and will want to have them back, in which case it will be easier to re-insert them with the capsule intact.  Best of luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

+1

As with every decision, the pros and cons must be weighed. Removing the implants alone is quite a simple procedure. Removing the capsule is considerably more of an operation. The benefits seem small, the risks seem real, so I would opt for simple removal. 

Typically the lower edge of the muscle is lifted off the ribs to place the implant, with very little disruption of its attachments, so nothing in particular needs to be done to the muscle. 

All the best. 

Breast Implant Removal

+1

Two very good questions. Does the muscle heal? I do not believe the muscle will reattach to the chest wall at the right place unless this is done during the surgery. Implants under the muscle cause the implants to retract up. Do the capsule resorb? No not completely . Every plastic surgeon have gone back after putting a tissue expander and years later a remnant of the capsule is found with no adherence. I have seen patients collect fluid in the capsule when the capsule is not removed. Removing the capsule is much bigger surgery and has its own set of risks.The question which set of risks you are comfortable with and your surgeon is comfortable with. Removing the capsule and reattaching the muscle to the chest wall is more surgery and more expensive.

Removal of capsule with breast implant removal

+1

Your plastic surgeon knows more about your situation than anyone you ask online, no matter how qualified. It is not always necessary to remove the capsule with breast implant.  Capsulectomy increases some risks, bleeding for example, but when there are some findings that make the benefits outweigh the risks. Drains too have specific indications, and I always tell my patients what I expect to do, and what findings during surgery might change the plan. If you have not, this is a good question to ask your plastic surgeon.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon