You will get a variety of answers about how long to wait after childbirth before having a "mommy makeover". “Mommy makeovers” include many different combinations and mean different things to different patients. Most ethical plastic surgeons would feel that 6 weeks is way too soon after delivering because:
· Your body, including your abdomen is still changing.
· You may have not lost all of your pregnancy weight.
· You should wait a minimum of 3 months after completing breast feeding and have no further breast milk since the risk of potential complications would be higher before that time.
· You cannot lift the baby postoperatively for weeks after a “mommy makeover”. The number of weeks depending on the extent of the procedures performed.
· You will need additional support at home to take of the baby as well as you.
I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California