Can I Have a Mommy Makeover 6 Weeks After Giving Birth?

Timing of a "Mommy Makeover" After Pregnancy?

+2

You will get a variety of answers about how long to wait after childbirth before having a "mommy makeover". “Mommy makeovers” include many different combinations and mean different things to different patients. Most ethical plastic surgeons would feel that 6 weeks is way too soon after delivering because:

·   Your body, including your abdomen is still changing.

·   You may have not lost all of your pregnancy weight.

·   You should wait a minimum of 3 months after completing breast feeding and have no further breast milk since the risk of potential complications would be higher before that time.

·   You cannot lift the baby postoperatively for weeks after a “mommy makeover”. The number of weeks depending on the extent of the procedures performed.

·   You will need additional support at home to take of the baby as well as you.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+2

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you wait 12 months after the birth of your child before undergoing a mommy makeover.

Wesley T. Myers, MD
Conroe Plastic Surgeon

A little too soon for a Mommy Makeover

+1
In my opinion, six weeks is still too early to undergo a mommy makeover. Pregnancy creates an increased risk of clotting and it would not be advisable to have any major surgery for a minimum of 3 months. Ideally you would wait at least six months so that your body would have an opportunity to contract loose tissues and for any weight loss to be achieved. At 6 months, if you are close to your ideal weight, your plastic surgeon will be able to optimally contour your tissues so that you achieve the most optimal result. Additionally, if you are breast feeding then you will need to wait at least a full 3 months following weaning so that your breasts fully return to their pre-lactation shape and size.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Mommy Makeover 6 Weeks After Giving Birth?

+1

Thank you for your question. We do not advise this and prefer patients to wait at least 9-12 months, and have finished breast feeding, and have the weight stabilize. There are exception, but we feel waiting is prudent as many body changes are occurring, and breast volume is changing, especially with breast feeding, and cessation of breast feeding, and atrophy of the mammary ducts. The way to get the best outcome is to wait until the body is not changing so much. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover with a newborn

+1

Although it may be safe for you to have a mommy makeover 6 weeks after childbirth, I wouldn't recommend it. It takes a woman's body some time after pregnancy to return to a stable state. Your weight and abdomen skin will fluctuate, and your breasts will change depending on breastfeeding. If you have mommy makeover surgeries such as breast enhancement and tummy tuck, your results will likely be affected by these changes in your body. You will also be very hands-on with your new baby at that time. Having surgeries that require downtime and restrict lifting will compromise that. Most surgeons recommend waiting at least 6 months after childbirth. This can be less if you aren't breastfeeding and have little pregnancy weight to lose, but it depends on your body and your surgeon's recommendation. Find a qualified doctor who can talk to you about what's right for your body. Mothers everywhere know the virtue of patience. Good luck with your pregnancy and mommy makeover!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

You can.

+1

Mommy makeovers, aka multiple surgeries which often include a breast augmentation and/or lift, an abdominoplasty, and liposuction, are one of the most common requests from my patients.

I often recommend to my patients that they wait 6 months to a year after giving birth and, 2-3 months after breast feeding. Each patient has a different post-partum body, so some new mothers can be ready just shortly after giving birth. But, if you had a c-section, you will have to wait until you are fully healed and for your body to be ready before undergoing a mommy makeover. 

Another issue is care. You may need help for at least 7-14 days after surgery. It will be hard getting around the first few days and you want to make sure you will have assistance caring for your baby. 

If you are small and there is not much more weigh to lose, within the 15 - 20 lb range, you're not breast feeding, and if your OB/GYN agrees you are ready, then you may have your surgery now without losing out on the full benefits. 

Steven M. Katz, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Mommy Makeover after pregnancy

+1

Six weeks after pregnancy is definitely too early to have any body contouring procedures.  Your body will go through many changes after the birth of your child.  I would wait at least 6 months and possibly longer if you are breast feeding.  You also want to make sure you have help available during the recovery period as you will not be able to lift your child for some time after the surgery.  Congrats on the birth of your child and make sure you seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon when the timing is more appropriate.

Naveen Setty, MD

+1

If you are a good candidate, 6 weeks after your child birth is too soon to have a mommy makeover procedure. Different people have different course of recovery after their child birth but you may want to wait for months (probably 6 months or more depending on your evaluation/examination at that time by a Board Certified PS) before undergoing a mommy makeover procedure. A mommy makeover procedure usually includes a tummy tuck, breast augmentation if breast volume is small with or without a breast lift and liposuction. Please, have more than one consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon before your mommy makeover procedure. Good Luck. 

B. Kalantarian, MD

Mommy makeover after pregnancy - Los Angeles

+1

It is safe to have surgery 6 weeks after pregnancy, but be aware that your body will continue to change for months after giving birth due to hormonal changes.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+1

You may be able to find someone who will do this, but you will be risking a sub-optimal result and a high chance of need a touch up that may not be able to entirely correct any problems.

At six weeks, neither the breast nor the abdominal wall has recovered sufficiently in most patients to judge the needs in both areas. It would be easy to take out too much or too little skin from the abdomen, to tighten the abdominal wall in an inadequate manner, and to use an implant size that doesn't approach the final goal. In addition, an unnecessary breast lift might be done, or a necessary one omitted.

Allow 6 months. If you are nursing, allow 3 months after you discontinue. All the best.