Weight Loss After Abdominoplasty?

I am preparing to have a FTT with MR. I have been losing wight consistently (161 to 138) through diet and exercise. I will be no more than 130 (I am 5'6") prior to my procedure. Now my question is, will I be able to continue to lose weight while also keeping the integrity of the procedure. I feel like I have 0 elasticity to my skin and am concerned that if I shrink my abdominal area will look "funny". What is a safe or realistic weight loss after a TT procedure??

Weight loss after TT

+3

It sounds like. You are already at an ideal  weights for the surgery.  After having a tummy tuck done, the important thing regarding your weight is not to regain the weight you have lost.  That is usually a much greater issue than is further weight loss, especially if you are already at 130 lbs.

Weight loss and timing of tummy tuck

+3

You should lose all the weight you plan to lose prior to a tummy tuck to ensure you do not compromise your result. If you lose too much weight (20 lbs) after a tummy tuck, the skin can loosen up somewhat and your result may not seem as tight. If you have your surgery at 130 lbs and given your height of 5'6", you likely won't need to lose too much weight after the surgery.

Discuss this in detail with a board certified plastic surgeon before having your procedure.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Abdominoplasty and weight loss.

+2

After your abdominoplasty surgery if you lose weight, there is a possibility that you may then have residual laxity of the abdominal skin tissue.  With abdominoplasty surgery, it entails implicating the rectus fascia, which gives you that firmness of the abdomen that you experience with abdominoplasty surgery.  In general, even after you lose the weight following the abdominoplasty surgery, the tightening of the fascia should hold and so therefore you may continue to have the firmness and the stability of the rectus fascia imbrication part, but you may end up having some looseness of the skin, which then ultimately may require doing revisional abdominal surgery if necessary

Kim-Chi Vu, MD

Weight fluctuation of +/- 5-10 pounds should be ok after tummy tuck

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss!  It is a great accomplishment.  Individual patients vary as to their skin elasticity.  But, generally speaking, weight loss or weight gain of +/- 5-10 pounds should not affect your results.  

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

For the best outcome, complete you weight loss before surgery

+1

Hi there-

While I largely agree with my colleagues that a weight change of 5 pounds here or there after your surgery should not affect your long term outcome too drastically, I would add an important reminder...

We're talking about aesthetic surgery here, right? This is totally elective, planned surgery designed (hopefully) to safely achieve the very best appearance for you possible.

Thinking of it this way makes it easier to understand why my personal recommendation would be for you to not proceed with surgery until you not only have lost all the weight you want to lose, but have actually been stable at that weight for at least 3 months. 

I realize this is not the most convenient answer, and I don't think what I recommend is absolutely necessary- but if what you want is to maximize the chances of the very best outcome, this is what I would do.

Armando Soto, MD

Weight loss after abdominoplasty in Los Angeles

+1

I you will be 130 lbs prior to your abdominoplasty, you would most likely not need to loose any more weight, since you will also loose weight with abdominoplasty. If you even loose 10-20 lbs more after abdominoplasty it should not affect your abdominoplasty results.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Weight Loss After Abdominoplasty

+1

To answer this I would want to know first of all how much more weight you think is reasonable for you to lose. I would like to know how much your abdominal wall has changed with the recent weight loss. 

If it hasn't changed much with the first 23 pounds of loss, it probably won't change much more. If it has changed dramatically, all bets are off, and your might want to consider delaying your surgery until you are at a weight that you expect will be stable. 

Thanks and best wishes.