Exercise After TT W MR?

Is it possible to obtain the "6 pack" look with proper exercise? Are these muscles able to be toned the same way as before? Are there restrictions?

Toning Up After Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+1

Once you have cleared to exercise then these muscle can be toned as much as any muscle in your body.  There should be no restrictions. 

Dr. ES

Six pack post tummy tuck

+1

I agree with the other opinions stated here.  Muscle definition in the abdomen comes with decreased body fat which typically covers the muscles and hides them like a board under a down comforter.  If you are able to decrease your body fat percentage sufficiently, you should see good muscle definition.  Your muscles will still retain the same anatomy as the fascia is really all that's tightened and the muscle bellies should still function and look the same after surgery.  I typically don't want my tummy tuck patients doing high intensity ab training or lifting for about 8 - 10 weeks postop.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

6 pack after Tummy Tuck

+1

This is very rarely achieved after tummy tuck, because the body fat percentage is not low enough.  However, given the removal of the skin and the tightening of the muscles to anatomic position, there should be nothing limiting you from obtaining this.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Six pack and tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks can provide amazing changes.  Tighter skin, a flatter profile, and better definition of the belly button, for instance.  A six pack?  Mayyybe.  Once you have healed well and your surgeon okays exercise, a tummy tuck really shouldn't limit your activities.  In our office we allow women to resume aggressive exercises about 8 weeks after a tummy tuck.  However, to be able to see 'six pack abs' a woman would need to have very little fat between the skin and the underlying extremely-toned muscle.  In my experience, generally women with BMI's in the mid-20's and above are not likely to be able to obtain that type of result with a tummy tuck.

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and "6-pack"

+1

A 6-pack is apparent when the body fat percentage is very low. A tummy tuck does not usually obtain that unless you just had loose skin and no subcutaneous abdominal fat. 

Back to exercise following an abdominoplasty

+1

An abdominoplasty only improves the resting tone of the abdomen and not muscle strength.  I generally allow abdominoplasty patients to resume normal work out activities at 6 weeks post surgery.  

Exercise After TT W MR?

+1

As to restrictions, speak with your surgeon. 

If your abdominal flap is thin, it is reasonable to expect the possibility of a six pack. Only the muscle lining, not the muscle itself is sutured, so they can be toned as before surgery.

All the best.