I Am 18 Days Post Op: BA and BL: HELP My Doctor Used HP! Will I Ever Have a Slope? (photo)

5"1 116lbs. Had a BA & BL (200cc, HP). I told my doctor i did not want the bob job look. I wanted 175cc and MP to adjust for saggy breasts after weight loss. I was starting from a victorias secret C. I really just wanted a BL but somehow got convinced to do a BA as well. I'm so upset. All my shirts fall in such a way that i look FAT and stumpy. The boobs look unnatural, is it possible for HP to gain a slope? Also my nipples are only ever hard, will this change? I want to go smaller.

Unhappy with breast augmentation/lift

+1

First things first - give yourself time to heal. At this point your breasts are going to be swollen and larger than the final result. Second, the implants will drop as the muscle relaxes over time. Third, this is a big physical change for you and it is not uncommon to have some remorse about going through the procedure. You chose to have this operation for important reasons, and giving yourself time to adjust to the new look is also very important. It will take time but you may find that in the end, you are happy with the current implants. If not, an exchange is not a complicated procedure.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Post aug

+1

I think going smaller may be an answer to your problem but since you are only 3 weeks I woiuld give it more time.Wear a breast strap across the top of your breasts to see if they will fall into a more natural position.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implants too high

+1

It is normal for the chest muscle to contract and pull the implants upwards initially.  It takes about three months for that muscle to loosen up and for the breasts to shape up.  Many patients think they are too big or too high in the first few weeks after surgery but, by the second or third month, things start to settle and shape up and they are happy.  My suggestion is not to panic but to be patient.  If your breasts do not look the way you want them to at the three month mark, then would be the time to talk about your options with your plastic surgeon.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Unhappy with breast augmentation and lift at 18 days postoperatively

+1

You are still very early in the healing process. Changes will continue to occur over the next several months. Be patient! Ultimately, if you are unhappy with the outcome, then changes can be made - your situation is not totally irreversible.

To somewhat ease your anxiety, discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

How to go back in time after breast augmentation.

+1

Unfortunately, you probably didn't "need" any sort of breast surgery at all given your pre-operative appearance--your breasts were beautiful, yet still not exactly what you wanted. You wanted a slight increase of volume (similar to what you had before you lost weight), and more perky (less droop or sag), though it's impossible to see just how much sagging you had in your reclining pre-op photo.

Also unfortunately, hindsight is indeed 20/20, and you appear to have undergone a periareolar "lift" (I use quotes because this operation usually provides much more scarring than true "lifting," and frequently leaves a purse-stringed, pleated scar that might heal well, but usually heals pretty poorly, along with a flatter-appearing breast profile). You also requested a very modest implant size, which in this size range should have almost certainly been moderate profile (11.2cm base diameter) to fit even the most narrow chest in a woman your size and weight. The 200cc HP implants used have a base diameter of 9.7cm, but more projection, perhaps chosen to attempt to reduce the flattening effect of the periareolar mastopexy. (PS: if you want "slope" you really didn't want either a lift or HP implants with the pre-op breast appearance you had!)

And their use only caused high, unnaturally round breasts with essentially no lift, possibly crappy scars (but visible ones right out in front around your areolas even if they heal well), and too-narrow implants that may "slide around" in their pockets.

Yes, as all of my colleagues have stated, 18 days post-op IS too early to decide how things will be long-term, and you CAN expect things to settle, soften, and improve somewhat. But, IMHO, poor decision-making cannot be undone by time and hope, and I suspect you may have been better served by no surgery at all, or at least by implants with a wider and less projecting profile (moderate) in the size you ultimately will get to decide on at the time of possible revisionary surgery. I would (most likely) have not recommended any lift at all. Sorry. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Take Time to Settle

+1

Thank you for your question.  I understand your concerns.  From the photos, your breasts look good.  The implants are still riding up in the upper chest, and this will tend to settle as long as your breasts remain soft and your implants mobile.   I would focus on massage of your implants and work with your plastic surgeon to optimize your healing.  A moderate profile implant might have given you really flat breasts, so you are likely better off with the HP.  The HP implant also tends to rotate the nipple upwards, and this also helps give a youthful result.  Some of the patients on my website in the breast lift section have HP implants and really did benefit from that selection.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Your breasts will continue to improve

+1

You are too early to see your final result.  I'm sure your PS and / or the nursing staff have told you this.  Trust them.  I have done thousands of breast augmentation / mastopexy patients and can assure you that your results are very typical for 18 days post op.  The HP implant is a great choice to fit the diameter of your original breast. 

Be patient.  Expect a great result that will improve with time.

Scott Barr, MD FRCSC.  Plastic Surgeon

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Early post breast augmentation and lift

+1

You are extremely early after a breast augmentation and lift. I would give it a few months to settle before becoming alarmed.

Yes you will have a slope.

+1

You early result looks good.  The view you have right now is of the swollen chest muscle pulling the implant up.  The hardest thing is to be patient.  Your implant size looks appropriate for your body.  You should have a very good result from you early photos.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

High riding implants.

+1

I understand your angst.  However, you must be patient.  I will assume your implants are under the muscle.  If this is true, I can tell you from my experience that the implants will on average start to drop into a good position 3 to 4 weeks after surgery, and they continue to improve for up to a year or so.

It is tough, but at this point, you need to hold tight and be patient.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD