Should I pick the surgeon closest to home?

What PS?

+1

Pick the plastic surgeon with the best credentials that you develop a rapport with and trust. Best of luck.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1

You shouldn't pick the PS closest to you. You should pick one close enough though. In case you have a problem, you should be relatively close.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Pick a plastic surgeon close to home?

+1

The answer is Yes! You want a plastic surgeon that will be around to help take care of you after surgery. Make sure that the surgeon is board- certified in plastic surgery and that you have a formal consult. Good luck!

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

Surgeon selection

+1

While it is alwaus ideal to stay close to your home for surgery, that should not be the only reason to select a surgeon. It is best to find a good surgeon near by..that would be ideal.

Best choice

+1

I always advise patients to select the Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and office with the best reputation and where they feel the most comfortable. All questions should be answered and a typical consult lasts at least 45 minutes. This is often followed by a second pre-op visit prior to the surgery. Additionally there are several visits(included with surgical fees) post operatively and you always want to be near your doctor should a complication arise. Therefore there are advantages in selecting a "nearby" surgeon

Hilton C. Adler, MD

Picking a plastic surgeon

+1

There are many factors you should consider when picking a plastic surgeon. Many will say "board-certified", but you need to be sure it's the "American Board of Plastic Surgery" and not some lesser board. For instance, some docs can take a weekend course and be "board-certified" to do breast implants. After reviewing proper credentials, view the surgeons before/after photos. When you go for a consult, be sure you feel comfortable with the surgeon and that he or she stands behind their work. Be sure to ask about their complication rate. Consider asking to speak with a former patient. Price and location should be your least concern. If you're interested, my website has a free download called "The Biggest Mistakes Patients Make With Plastic Surgery and How to Avoid Them". Hope this helps! Victor Ferrari

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery medical tourism

+1

There are many factors that you should consider when choosing a plastic surgeon. Finding a board certified surgeon who is boarded in plastic surgery is the first step. There are many board certified plastic surgeons near you, finding one who you trust and are comfortable with is the next most important part. Having a surgeon close to your home is better,because it allows them to have a close watch over you after surgery. I have seen patient's who have travelled far away for surgery (medical tourism), but then they come home and have issues. Their surgeons are then unable to treat them and they have to find someone to care for them. When you paying for cosmetic surgery, you are also paying for your post-operative care as well. So closest, may not be the right term, but close enough so that driving to an office visit isn't an issue may be the right mindset.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Surgery close to home is best

+1

Unless you are seeking a specific procedure that is not done in your area then you should stay close to home. I see a number of people for trans axillary endoscopic breast augmentation from out of town but I always want them to stay for a day or so to make sure everything went well. If you were to have a complication back at home it would be difficult to find a local doctor to take care of you at no cost since they will charge you for their time and expertise to take care of essentially some other plastic surgeons problem. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Selecting a Plastic Surgeon

+1

You do not necessarily have to pick the plastic surgeon closest to you, but you should pick one who is convenient. The main thing you should be concerned with his finding someone who is well qualified and has significant experience in the procedure in which you're interested. The easiest way to know about qualifications is to make certain that the surgeon is board certified in plastic surgery. Going to plasticsurgery.org or surgery.org

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

CHOOSING A SURGEON

+1

There are many Board Certified and highly qualified surgeons in your area. Why travel? Do your homework and you will find an excellent surgeon to fill your needs.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon