Is it possible to fill vertical lip lines and defining vermillion line without adding a lot of volume? (photos)

I'm a 52 yo noticing vertical lip lines and a little loss of volume, but I like the shape of my (natural) upper lip, and don't want to end up with a pout. I've had good results with Radiesse in nasolabial folds, but not sure that's what's needed here? I was working my way up into the teens % wise on TCA peel levels, but have not done one in a year. I'd like to fill the lines and define vermillion line but not add much volume to upper lip. Suggestions appreciated!

Filling the lip line does most of work

+2
Yes it's possible o fill the vertical lip lines BY Filling the lip line. You see you will "break up" the vertical lines as it goes into your natural lip line (the junction between red and normal skin). My favorite filler for this is Juvederm. A tiny thrad injected just along your lip line  or border. It will expand overnight by absorbing water from your body and give a great erasing effect without enlarging your lips.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Lip definition

+2
Nancy5203, it is possible to use fillers to improve fine-line's of the lip as well as improve the definition of the vermilion.  I would recommend a hyaluronic acid filler in a skilled injectors hands.  A more permanent or long lasting solution would require laser intervention.  Either with a non-ablative or ablative approach.  The non-ablative approach requires time and patience and in general does not improve the appearance as much as the ablative approach.  The ablative approach works better but does require more healing.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Define lip lines

+2
The vermilion border can easily be better defined without adding significant volume.  Seek a skilled injector as this is more important than the actual filler.  Best filler is a hyaluronic acid filler, the exact one to choose is less significant than the injector's choice or skill.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Vertical Lip Line Filler

+2
Hi Nancy. I would recommend Belotero to replace the lost volume that has resulted in your vertical lip lines. Belotero is a light, easily moldable filler that provides excellent natural results in this area. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Verticle lip lines

+2
There are many treatment for these lines, among them are low dose Botox and fillers.  Deep peels, dermabrasion and laser resurfacing can also be used.  The best filler currently is Belotero which if injected properly can give substantial improvement without changing the appearance of the lips.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

A well-performed injectable filler treatment may lead to less wrinkling in the vermillion of your lips.

+2
Your vertical lip wrinkles are showing from slight volume loss. A delicate filler treatment may lead to a smoother lip appearance without significantly enlarging or changing the shape of your lips. We prefer to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for subtle and permanent results. Radiesse is not typically advised for use in the lips.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belotero

+2
Belotero works amazingly well in the areas you described-it is very malleable and perfect for those fine lines in that part of the face. Our patients love the result

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Vertical lip lines

+1
Absolutely. The key is to inject just a little amount to smooth away your wrinkles. Find an experienced injector who has a gentle touch. Juvederm works great here.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Filler for lip lines

+1
We are fortunate in Canada to have Juvederm Volbella which is a perfect hyaluronic acid filler to give definition of the vermilion borders and to smooth lips without adding much volume.  In the US, tiny amounts of Belotero or Restylane by a skilled injector would also give a desired result.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Improving lip lines

+1
You do have a beautifully shaped lip. The border of the lip can be enhanced with a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler and can accentuate your nice shape without adding volume. Vertical lip lines can be addressed with a neuromuscular relaxer like botox and also with a HA filler such as belotero which is designed for appropriate superficial placement or diluting or thinning of another HA with lidocaine so that it looks natural in the superficial lines. Nonablative skin rejuvenation with lasers can build collagen to smoothe fine lines as well. I think your goals are achievable!

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist