I'm interested filling tear trough & adding volume to malar area. What would you recommend? (photos)

25 year old female, good health, no previous cosmetic procedures. I'm interested in correcting my hereditary tear trough and adding volume to the upper cheeks. Long-term or permanent result preferred. Implants, fat injections, and midface lifts are procedures I've seen in my research. The midface lift could also heighten the lip commissures and expose more of my upper lip, but that isn't the priority. Take a look at my photos and see what you think is the best route for me.

Best Treatment for Filling Tear Trough and Adding Volume to Malar (Cheek) Area

+2
Hi Samantha,

I would treat you with Voluma in your cheeks and Restylane under your eyes if you were my patient.  These fillers last a long time in these areas.  I am hesitant to use permanent fillers as it is said, "Permanent fillers, permanent problems!"  Even though the chances of adverse events are smaller with some of the newer "permanent fillers" and fat transfer, if there is a problem in the lower eye and cheek area it is very difficult to correct.  I would stay away from midface surgery or implants as well.  At your young age, I would stick with Voluma and Restylane, only with an expert, skilled injector with natural artistic vision.  Choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

I'm interested filling tear trough & adding volume to malar area. What would you recommend?

+2
Voluma is a great non-surgical option to augment the cheeks. We also see that alot of patients experience improvement in the tear trough area due to the lift of the product. This is a reasonable approach for people desiring cheek augmentation via a non-surgical approach. If your tear troughs were still too deep after Voluma, a thinner filler such as Restylane could be used to directly fill that area. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving appearance of eye hollows

+1
From your photos, it looks like you would do best with the hyaluronic acid filler Restylane or Perlane in the medial cheek area and in the lower eye area. The results you can get from this are long lasting and natural. I would avoid permanent filler in this area. A cheek implant is an option but really you can get such good, long-lasting results with Restylane or Perlane that I think filler would be a better option for you.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

+1
Thanks for the question and great posted photos. I tell my patients to start slowly before going permanent. In other words I would first do fillers and BOTOX injections to see if you are satisfied. I would use Belotero Balance for the tear troughs (1 syringe), 2 to 4 syringes of Voluma for cheek hypoplasia, BOTOX for wrinkling. This will cost from $4,000 to $6,000. If after you see the results and you desire a more invasive treatment than surgery can be discussed. Good Luck... 

Correcting Tear Trough and lack of Malar Fullness in the Young

+1
The best way t add fullness to the malar area which you appear to need and to improve the tear troughs is with a filler. Of the off the shelf fillers, Juvederm Voluma appears to presently be the best. However, in someone your age, I would suggest fat grafting the area. Although this may take 2 sessions 4-6 months apart to achieve your desired contour, once this is achieved, the results are essentially permanent. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fillers

+1
Fillers can be used with a lot of success in the tear trough region and the malar region. Best of luck. 

Facial Fillers, Am I a Candidate

+1
You look like a great candidate for fillers, I would avoid any surgery for now.  There are many options for filler types and you should seek a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist to get an opinion on what is best for you.  I wish you luck, Dr. Emer.

I'm interested filling tear trough & adding volume to malar area.

+1
Yes, I agree.  You do need more fullness to the cheek area.  Your face is relatively flat and needs volume.  Yes, you can start with fillers, but ultimately, you may decide on cheek implants, as these are permanent and will give your face the necessary shape.

Filling tear trough and malar area

+1
Hi Samantha. Since you have never had any type of cosmetic procedures before I would recommend correcting these areas with a Hyaluronic Acid filler such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero. My preference would be to use Juvederm Voluma for your cheeks to volumize your midface. This will also help improve your tear troughs. The tear troughs can then be treated with Belotero to help blend with the midface. Juvederm would be great to help enhance your lips. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Tear trough

+1
Samanthateal, Look up the "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" and I think you will find that this procedure will address your concerns. For you cheeks starting with a temporary filler isn't a bad idea. This will allow you to try out this look before committing to implants. Always choose a facial plastic specialist for you procedure and check out their photos before you visit. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon