Mini Facelift or Fillers for Chin and Jowl? (photo)

I am 40 and am unhappy with jowls/chin/neckline. I notice the tip of my nose has widened too. My question is this: Should I use fillers such as Restylane, Sculptra, Radiesse or a mini facelift for the jowls and should I use an implant or fillers for the chin? I actually don't mind paying for the fillers again in two years to keep my chin. I'd appreciate any input on how to give my face a more youthful look.

Facelift or fillers

+2

Your question is very common. The first thing I like patients to realize is that very often these treatments are not mutually exclusive but complimentary . Having said that you don't appear to have a lot of excess laxity and you have a good jawline so I think you likely would have a great result with Sculptra and Restylane/Juvederm. This treatment would likely let you put off surgery for now.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or mini-facelit

+2

Fillers may do the trick but an in-office exam would be reasonable. You do have some jowling and little to no neck involvement in the photos.

I Would Suggest a Liquid Necklift

+2

You have early aging changes in your chin and neckline.  If a patient can get a great result using non-invasive techniques, I recommend them.  In plastic surgery, you can either correct the underling problem or hide them.  In your situation, fillers in front of your jowl, will hide the jowl and create a long, interrupted, and feminine jawline.  I prefer to use Prelane in this area.  Please see the pictures attached below, as this patient had a similar neckline as you.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers vs mini facelift

+2

Since you have a nice neck and jawline, you can get lots of mileage from a "liquid facelift" using fillers like Restylane and Perlane to restore lost volume and give a very healthy refreshed look.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mini Facelift A Good Option For Early Jowls

+1

Thank you for your question.  My approach to early jowl formation is to do a mini facelift.

Dermal fillers can be injected into the area in front of the jowl and can improve it temporarily.  However dermal filler injection into the pre-jowl sulcus is prone to form lumps and almost always causes bruising because of the presence of the anterior facial artery and vein in this region. In addition the constant motion of the mouth and the muscles around the mouth can cause early dissolution of the filler and recurrence of the jowl.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Mini Facelift or Fillers for Chin and Jowl?

+1

From the photos provided, the cheeks are a bit flat, there are jowls present, the chin is a bit weak and there is a small amount of excess skin under the neck.  A minimal incision Facelift, fillers to augment the cheeks (I prefer using Perlane), a chin augmentation with a chin implant combined with excision of the excess skin would make the face more feminine in appearance.  Fillers to the jowls will ad volume and soften the jowls but there won't be any removal of excess facial skin as can be achieved with the facelift.

Mini Lift with Fat Injections are a nice rejuvenation option

+1

You certainly are lucky with excellent anatomy but agree that a "little freshening up" will really help your inherently good anatomy shine through.

1. A Mini Lift will help define your jaw line by lifting up your jowls. While they are subtle, given your sharp features this will have a nice result. Your jaw does have some squaring away at the sides on front view and a nice clean / angular jawline will match nicely with your cheek bones.

2. Fat injections done in a conservative way will help your cheeks look fuller and your face more "heart shaped".

3. Fat can also be injected into your chin to help get more definition there as well.

4. Leave your neck alone!

You have many great options with facial anatomy as nice as yours!

Take care,

Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD

Treatment for chin and jowls in younger patients

+1

You are really the kind of person that these options were designed for.  You are a young lady with very early signs of facial aging affecting primarily her lower cheeks and jawline at the jowls.  A lot of the decision as to what to do rests with you.  While a mini-facelift is indicated and can certainly tighten up your jawline tissues, bear in mind that it is a surgical procedure with the risks and expense associated with that.  Those are lower than with full facelift to be sure, as you can usually do a mini facelift under local anesthesia if desired, and the extent of the procedure is not as great, but they are still very real.  The results will be good, but they will probably begin to reverse around 5 years later, and you may want more done.  Everyone has a certain number of lifting procedures "in her" before she starts to look distorted and "done."  Therefore, the earlier you start, the earlier you hit that threshold.  One of the long overlooked issues with facial aging has been volume loss, and not just looseness.  While facelifts address looseness, they do very little if anything to address volume loss.  For that you typically must add back volume strategically with either fillers or fat transfer.  Either would be appropriate for you.  I would encourage you to strongly consider a plan using Radiesse along your jaw line to address the lateral chin and perhaps create more chin projection if you wish, and Sculptra in the mid-cheek to add some volume there as well.  This will also create some lift on the jowl.  Lastly, consider some Radiesse in the upper cheek/malar region to create some lift of your cheekbones and youthful balance to your face.  Perhaps some Perlane in the tear troughs would complete the volume restoration around your orbit.  This plan will give you a very nice, natural improvement and save the surgery for a later time when the changes will be more significant and the results of the surgery more satisfying.  The good thing is that we have these options today whereas we didn't 10 years ago.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Facelift or Fillers?

+1

It used to be that a facelift was the only option for the appearance of a jowl. But that's no longer the case. What I see in your photos is a face that is very long and very thin. At the age of 40 there is a loss of supportive soft tissue in the deeper areas of the face, and less robust and healthy collagen in the skin. This creates a depleted look, and skin that lacks sufficient tone. Returning volume and tone to the skin and underlying supportive soft tissue will create a softer and toned appearance and can actually create a lift of the jowl without surgery. Sculptra is the best way to nonsurgically create that youthful look. With surgery the jowl may be tightened, but the effect may not necessarily mimic a youthful appearance.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Your question is commonly asked in my practice. The surgical lift will give you a better long term result than fillers. The chin augmentation can be accomplished at the same time with an implant or a fat fill. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consult and exam. Dr Thomas Narsete Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon