I am interested in arm lipo and was told that I would better benefit from an arm lift? (photo)

I am not interested in the full arm lift. Do you think an axillary arm lift, minimal incision arm lift would help me achieve the arm sculpture I desire. I am planning on a bbl with tt and want to eventually get work done on my arms. I am 25 years old and I am physically active. However with my Fitzpatrick I do not want the issue of a long brachioplastic scar, nor that much hyperpigmentation.

Arm lipo versus arm lift

+2

You are correct that the incision for full arm lift, though "hidden" on the inner arm, typically leaves a visible scar that can hyperpigment in patients with higher Fitzpatrick skin types. Even when it doesn't hyperpigment, it can often be pink or red and raised for a good year before it starts to fade. This is not a scar to take lightly, and if there is any doubt in your mind, I would avoid it. You can always proceed once you are sure about it, but there is no going back. In other words, once you have the scar, you cannot take it back. I do not feel the axillary arm lift will give you the sculpted look you desire, and those scars can migrate and widen depending on how it is done. The minimal incision technique would also not give you what you are after. Liposuction can help reduce the volume with minimal incisions, but before proceeding you should be aware that liposuction only removes fat. It does not tighten the skin. The degree of skin tightening after liposuction varies from patient to patient, and depends on the characteristics of your skin and your body's own healing. It also takes time for the skin to retract around the smaller volume. Early on after arm lipo, the area gets swollen and can look like nothing was removed. It takes patience and time to see the final results, and it can be frustrating in the first few weeks after surgery. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in person to get a recommendation on what would be best for you, as one can only give limited advice based on one photograph.

Armlift v.s. liposuction which one is better?

+1
Thanks for your question,
It is best to have a in person evaluation of your arms by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.
With regards to Liposuction, it is usally very helpful when there is not too much excess skin.
However, in people with significant laxity and excess skin, one can do miniarm lift v.s full arm lift in conjuction with liposuction and expect a great result. 
Hope this was helpful.
Dr Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

I am interested in arm lipo and was told that I would better benefit from an arm lift?

+1

I would do the BBL and tummy tuck first. You may want to try a little liposuction of the arms with the BBL, but an exam would be necessary to confirm if this would be beneficial.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lipo vs. Arm lift

+1

Your concerns are valid, the arm lift also known as brachioplasty leaves noticeable scars that can't be hidden easily particularly in patients with a high Fitzpatrick number. I will only perform brachioplasties in patients that assure me scars won't bother them even after seen photos of actual patients. Because you are so young and active I would recommend liposuction only. Your skin will tighten to a certain degree that will be superior to the scar of a brachioplasty. I have tried the axillary approach for minimal scars only to be dissapointed with how little difference it makes, I don't think it's worth doing.

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs Lift

+1

Although it is difficult to judge solely on this photo, it may be possible to get the result you want by minimal incision and perhaps even, the lipo may be beneficial. Since you are young and are physically active, your skin may retract nicely from the suction. I would definitly consult with a PS when you are ready for this procedure and he/ she can assess your arms at the time and give you advise based on the physical assessment.

All the best.

Alexander Golger, MD

+1

From your photos, it looks like you have some mild to moderate excess skin and subcutaneous tissue laxity.In general, if someone is actively trying to loose weight, most plastic surgeons would encourage their patients to reach their maximal goal weight before undergoing body contouring surgery.Once that has occurred, then surgical options can be considered.From least to most invasive, options for improving arm contour are: CoolSculpting, liposuction, brachioplasty (arm lift).Brachioplasty has a higher risk of hypertrophic scarring than other body contouring procedures.In a person with darker skin type, this risk is increased.Less invasive options such as CoolSculpting or ultrasound assisted liposuction may be an intial step prior to pursuing brachioplasty.I would recommend that you consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

+1

Than there is no good answer we can offer you. The lipos will only decrease the fat volume NOT the excess skin..