"New" Tummy Tuck Procedure?

I went to a consultation with a doctor that says that his "new" procedure of tummy tuck is the most advance and safer than the "traditional" way. Instead of lifting the entire skin from the abdomen wall, he lipos the entire stomach then only lifts what will be removed and leaves the rest intact...he then creates a tunnel upwards where he sews the abdomen together, then he pushes the skin down and creates a new belly button & then closes the incision. Any doc familiar with this "new" procedure?

"New" Tummy Tuck Procedure?

+3

I first saw this operation back in the 80's, so it isn't very new. And I have revised several patients who had the procedure and felt not enough skin was removed. Get several opinions before you select your surgeon. The procedure works very well for a certain type of abdomen, but it is definitely not for every patient.

"New" #TummyTuck Procedure? ANS:

+2

As you have read, Lipo abdominoplasty has been around a while but it can give a very nice result...Make sure you see some pictures on patients that have had this. I have found it more difficult in patients with very stretched out and loose abdominal skin....

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

"New" Abdominoplasty Technique-Really?

+2

Dear Morenais,

The first thing most surgeons learn in their training is that there really are very few truly "new" techniques in surgery.  For the most part, the "new" techniques are modifications of an older technique but often they are actually just an older technique that has been rediscovered.

The technique you are describing is often termed a "lipoabdominoplasty" and has been performed for many years-at least since the 1980's.  Like all techniques, the key component to obtaining a great result is selecting the right patient for the technique.  Lipoabdominoplasty does not work well on patients with significant excess skin or stretch marks.  It also will not correct an abdomen with wide muscle separation because of bunching of the skin/fatty tissues in the upper abdomen.

Before proceeding with your surgery, you may want to obtain a few other opinions from other board-certified plastic surgeons.  Also, ask to see photos of the results of the procedures they suggest and make sure those photos contain images of someone with your similar body build and shape. Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

"New" Tummy Tuck Procedure?

+1

I think every doc is familiar with this "new" procedure. Osvaldo Saldanha coined the term "lipoabdominoplasty" in an article in 2001, describing his technique that he had developed over a number of years before naming it. 

Maybe it is news to your surgeon. You might want to find a surgeon who has been doing this for a while if that is indeed the appropriate technique for your. Thank you for your question, all the best.

Not a new technique

+1

Thank you for the question.  What you are describing is a previously established technique for abdominalplasty.  It's design was in part created to avoid the use of drains.  The most important thing to consider with your plastic surgeon is great before and after photos and great reviews.

Dr Remus Repta 

The not so new tummy tuck technique

+1

What you describe, central tunneling and liposuction, is actually not very new and is probably part of most plastic surgery practice. Certainly only lifting what will be removed or moved lower will improve the circulation and sensation, and reduce the chance of a fluid collection called a seroma. The 'new' and 'advanced' bit is a little hype, but the techniques are sound. The 'new belly button' however certainly should be your own and appear in the same place it started out.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Lipoabdominoplasty

+1

This is not a new procedure but may be a new procedure for your PS.  It is not used in all cases but rather depends upon where the excess skin and fat are in the abdominal wall.  I use it in selected cases but most patients are better candidates for a standard tummy tuck.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lipoabdominoplasty

+1

The procedure that you are describing is a "lipoabdominoplasty." This is a technique that was popularized in Brazil and has gained popularity over the past 10 years or so. I use this technique very frequently and my patients have been very happy with their results.

What's old and new again

+1

Lipoabdominoplasty is not a new procedure.  My staff are constantly saying that I need to call my facelifts, tummy tucks, etc. the "K" procedure and the public will think that I have invented something new and exciting.  Honestly, what you are seeing in a marketing technique to describe a variant on the tummy tuck operation.  I personally don't think that this method produces outstanding results.

"New" Tummy tuck

+1

This is a well-described technique for a tummy tuck and is called a lipoabdominoplasty.  There are several variations of it but the basic premise is that using liposuction helps preserve blood flow to the flap of tissue being brought down and helps loosen the upper abdominal tissue to allow for less tension on closure.  Also, liposuction helps shape the upper abdominal flap that is brought down.  Not all surgeons perform tummy tucks this way but I would not call it a "new" technique.

Web reference: http://www.settyplastics.com/body-contouring-mckinney/tummy-tuck/