90% blockage in left nostril due to deviated septum and crooked nose...please advise. (photo)

I have a deviated septum/crooked nose with 90% blockage in my left nostril. I have an enlarged turbinate as well. I know I need Septoplasty and would need reshaping of the tip and profile as I have a hump and a droopy bulbous tip. Please advise me on this.

It is best to fix the septum at the same time as Rhinoplasty...

+1
With a crooked nose, the best result can be obtained by performing both the septoplasty and the rhinoplasty together because the deviated septum is probably contributing significantly to the crooked appearance. During rhinoplasty, the entire nose can be opened up, allowing great exposure to correct both the septum and any cosmetic issues that are causing the nasal deviation. Then, the tip can be thinned and placed at a nice, masculine position. Be sure to see surgeons specializing in correcting both the internal and external aspect of the nose.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked septum and nose.

+1
You look like you may also have broken your nose in the past. The good news is that if you have decent insurance you should  get much of the surgery covered. Besides the functional portion of the surgery you could have your nose straightened. A smaller less droopy tip would be good but you need to be careful not to make the nose too small which could decrease breathing. You don't want the tip up too high as well or a scooped nose when you take the bump down. Go to an otolaryngologist who is also board certified in facial plastics to make sure that you get improved breathing as well as a better looking outside of your nose.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty Candidate

+1
Dear IamMarbee, You would be a candidate for a septorhinoplasty and turbinate reduction. The "septo" portion of the surgery will address the deviated septum, and turbinate reduction or the functional aspects of your nose. The "rhinoplasty" portion would address the cosmetic changes needed to bring more balance to your features. Consultation and examination would confirm your diagnosis and digital imaging could be done to show you the proposed surgical changes. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

90% blockage in left nostril due to deviated septum and crooked nose...please advise.

+1
First, go Sox! Based on your description and the photo you've attached it sounds like a septorhinoplasty and turbinate reduction would be required to improve all of your airway issues. If you had cosmetic changes as well they could be made during the same procedure. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose

+1
It sounds as if ;l you need an examination by a well trained rhinoplastic surgeon and you might benefit from a rhinoplasty with correction of the deviated septum and correction of your turbinates. This is common surgery and can help you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Crooked Nose

+1
Deviated noses are very challenging and require special maneuvers to correct the deviated internal and the external structures of the nose. You may consult someone who has enough expertise dealing with the deviated structures as well as the nasal valves which often may not function properly on a patient with the deviate nose.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
It sounds like you could benefit from a rhinoplasty. It is best to be seen in person for a proper evaluation. The breathing issue and aesthetic issues can be treated at the same time. Good luck.

Deviated nose

+1
I agree that your nose is deviated. It's impossible to tell how blocked it is on the inside without an exam. Your nose can be straightened without changing the shape or tip. So that is something you could do in addition. Sounds like it's time to get some consults. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may result in a straighter nasal appearance, tip refinement and better breathing.

+1
You appear to have a crooked nose with a bulbous and droopy tip. Well-performed rhinoplasty surgery techniques may be employed to improve your nasal appearance and breathing. You may benefit from consulting several rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you.

Hope this helps you.

Dr.Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose and deviated septum

+1
In order to be able to best guide your questions, a thorough history and physical examination of your nose would be needed.  Also, the best assessment and plan would be made by viewing photos from different angles of the nose including a profile view from both sides as well as a base view (view from the bottom of the nose) and views from a three quarter angle of the nose.  It appears, however, from the frontal view that you do have a significant deviation of the outside of your nose which may correlate to the deviation of the septum on the inside.  I like to develop a plan based on an assessment of the nose in thirds.  The upper third of the nose corresponding to the nasal bones, the middle third corresponding to the cartilages are either side of the walls of the nose and septum and the lower third comprising the tip cartilages.  Most of the deviation in your case is of the upper two thirds of the nose.  The crooked nose is one of the more challenging issues in rhinoplasty surgery.  A rhinoplasty in conjunction with a septoplasty would address your crooked nose as well as your nasal obstruction.  Given the complexity of these issues, it is best to be evaluated by a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.       

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon