During Rhinoplasty Consultation the Doctor Said I'd Only Wear the Splint for 1-3 Days with No Tape, Normal?

I am getting rhinoplasty in May and my doctor told me I will only have my splint on for 1-3 days and that I will not require tape. I have done a lot of research on rhinoplasty and everything I have seen/read says 5-7 days is normal. Is 1-3 days too early to take off a splint?

How long to wear splint after rhinoplasty?

+1

Thank you for your question. Of course it is important to follow the instructions of the Dr. that you choose to do your rhinoplasty.

That said my practice I try to leave the splint on for a week to 10 days. I believe that the splint can help mold the nose into conformity the underlying modified nasal bone and cartilage structures.

Taping and splints

+1

Each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure.  With very minor rhinoplasty procedures a short duration of tape may be acceptable

Sam Naficy, MD

1-3 days, to early to remove tape

+1

The nasal splint is used to limit the extent of nasal swelling and possible displacement of nasal bones following a full rhinoplasty. It also, limits the nasal swelling, even if the bones were not re-positioned. It takes at least 7 days for the first stage of swelling after rhinoplasty to settle.

Kris Conrad, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint Removal 1-3 Days Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Normally I remove the splint 6-7 days after a rhinoplasty. However, the answer to your question depends on what will be done during your nasal surgery. For example, if I'm doing just the tip I may not use a cast at all. If you're already questioning your surgeon's recommendations consider getting second opinion.

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

I normally have patients wear a splint for five days, but in some cases it is not necessary.  If your surgeon does not move your nasal bones, the splint may be optional.

David Stoker, MD

+1

Casts or splints are typically taken off at 1 week post Rhinoplasty.  However, many Rhinoplasty Surgeons do things differently, so you'd have to ask that particular plastic and cosmetic surgeon why he recommends removing the cast when he does.  Be sure the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.