I have numbness and tenderness across my lower back after liposuction. Is this normal?

I had liposuction from my stomach and back, then transferred to my butt on March 6 2014. About 2 weeks later i started feeling numbness And tenderness across my lower back where two of the incisions Are... A little painful and discomforting ... is this expected to happen????

+2
Sounds Ok BUT why not go see your operative surgeon for follow up appointment to discuss this issue??? 

See your surgeon if you are very concerned

+1
Most sensory changes go away by 6-8 weeks, however it is not uncommon for it to last over a year or more. They are considered temporary. Over time the feeling will gradually return to normal. As the feeling comes back you may notice some electric tingling sensations which is quite normal and will subside. 

If you have serious concerns regarding this issue, I recommend you see your surgeon. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Low back numbness with liposuction

+1
The lower back and front of the thighs are two areas which can exhibit some annoying numbness after liposuction.  This is normal. Sometimes it can be irritating numbness but will pass in time. In 29 years I have never seen a case persist beyond 3 months, and normally the numbness if it does occur, will subside in 3-8 weeks.  The tiny sensory nerves can be irritated as they arise from the center of the back. Small instruments used in liposuction usually limit this type of numbness. The back is very tedious to suction from time to time.  The nerves can be bumped during that process.

Donn Hickman, MD

Sensational changes after liposuction

+1
Liposuction can cause temporary numbness and tingling of the skin. There's really nothing to do but wait until this resolves. Usually resolved within about six months. Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Numbness and Tenderness after Liposuction

+1
Having numbness and tenderness only 2 weeks after liposuction can be normal.  However, you should have a follow-up visit with your surgeon to make sure that you are progressing nicely.  If everything is going well, the tenderness and numbness will resolve with time.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon