Wonky Nose Post Rhinoplasty - Will It Straighten?

i had a nose job 5 weeks ago and the bone is a different width on each side of my nose also now my nostrils look uneven they werent before the surgery and i havent had them moved could this be because of the bone being narrowed i still cant breathe through it should i be able to after 5 weeks

Wonky nose in UK

+1

Dear UK - thanks for your question - the nose is the most unique facial structure comprised of three different tissue types - bone, cartilage and skin.  This being said, each has a different time frame of recovering from surgical manipulation. Overall swelling will last 6-8 months if not for a total of 1 year from surgery.  So while we don't see any pictures and you are only 5 weeks from surgery there certainly will be some persistent asymmetry at this stage of healing.  Noses are a primary procedure in my practice and my experience shows that overall straightness and symmetry is evident at the 3rd week mark and that breathing usually will be good within 4 weeks provided that your doctor helps with nasal cleaning as you progress through the healing stages.  If revision surgery is necessary it is of benefit not to do so too early - allow the nose to heal completely for 12-18 months - then if you are not happy with the outcome it is not unreasonable to seek a revision nasal specialist. 

Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wonky Nose post Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm not sure what a wonky nose looks like, but asymmetrical swelling is possible 5 weeks after rhinoplasty. Nasal appearance will change over the next 6-9 months, and hopefully breathing will improve.

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Because you are only five weeks out it is very possible that the external swelling is causing your concerns. IT is always best to consult with your surgeon to make certain that you are healing properly.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Short term Rhinoplasty results

+1

It is entirely possible that the swelling is creating the asymmetry that you are experiencing. It is also not unusual for the nostrils to be asymmetric at this time as well and sometimes it was present preoperatively and only noticeable now. I would consult with your physician who performed the procedure to get their perspective.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Post Rhinoplasty - Will It Straighten

+1

Sorry that you didnt post any photos!  it is difficult to tell without photos.  At 5 weeks after surgery, there may still be some swelling, but usually by 6-8 weeks you should have a good idea if there is still asymmetry.  Sounds like you may need to have a revision!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Five weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Usually after the splint is off at one week the nose will look well, however there will be swelling inside which will make breathing difficult for six to eight weeks. There can also be some swelling in the tip and bridge to a lessor degree which clears up in six to twelve months. It is difficult to tell from your question what is up, though you will see changes and improvements for weeks yet to come.

peterejohnsonmd

Nasal contour "loss" after rhinoplasty.

+1

The nose is swollen for 6-12 MONTHS and it is too soon to make any judgement about it at this early stage.

Crooked nose and congestion after rhinoplasty

+1

It's hard to give you much of a detailed assessment without seeing your nose and knowing what was done. 

One would expect there to still be external swelling at this point after surgery. The swelling may be asymmetric, but you may have true asymmetry once you've healed. You'll have to wait to get a better sense of this.

I'd discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see how things are healing.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossible to judge without seeing your pre-surgical picture, your current appearance, and knowing what was done during the procedure.  The only person who knows all of this is your surgeon, therefore, your surgeon is best qualified to address your concerns.  Openly discuss the bony width, nostril asymmetry, and difficulty breathing with your surgeon.

Steve Laverson, MD

Five weeks post rhinoplasty

+1

Being that you are only five weeks after a rhinoplasty, you have to give it time to heal and for the swelling to subside.  Some asymmetry is normal and most likely present before the surgery.