Is It Normal to Have a Wind Swept Back Look at 7 Days After a Facelift and Brow Lift?

It has been 7 days since my surgery and I am concerned. My concern is that my face looks overdone in a winded swept back look. After looking at other people's surgery, I look the most swept back. My surgeon is the best in Hawaii for Plastic surgery so I am not sure what happened. This is my worse nightmare and I am worried that I will lose my career.

Windswept Look at 7 Days Following Facelift

+1

7 days is too early to make a judgement call about the results of a facelift.  Your plastic surgeon will know if this is typical early in his or her patients.  Just ask your surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Windswept Look after Facelift

+1

At seven days, it is too soon to predict your final result. Did you examine before and after pictures from your surgeon prior to choosing him? If those patients had a natural look then chances are you will too. If you are anxious it is best to call your doctor and express your concerns first.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concerning..

+1

Having the “windswept” look is naturally concerning. Sometimes it is seen initially when an individual has relatively thin skin and a history of having sun damage to the skin. In general, it is rare in my experience for people to have any type of windswept type of look when the facelift is done in a way that restores a natural appearance. I would suggest you discuss this to your surgeon and learn what surgical option your would have should the windswept look does not resolve during the normal healing process. I would not be too optimistic with the use of fillers.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

7 days post facelift is too early to worry about the result

+1

Due to the swelling that is likely still present as well as the recent surgery date, it's too early to worry about the final result. You're still in the very early phases of healing. The lateral sweep or "Nike swoosh" that you're seeing might well resolve with time. I would followup with your surgeon and seek their assessment of your healing. It's also important to remember that the photos you've reviewed from your experienced surgeon were likely taken from 6 - 12 months following surgery. You have alot of healing left ahead of you. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Windswept Look Facelift

+1

The windswept look after  a facelift occurs for the following reasons:

• Superficial plane- Pulling and placing tension on skin or creating large skin flaps is more likely to create a windswept look
  • Poor vector-  Overly vertical pulling can create a windswept appearance
  • Too much tension skin

Early on this may resolve.  However, if it has not resolved within 3 months you may be looking at a revision lift.  Unfortunately, most revision lifts require some waiting for the skin to become lax again so that a lift can be safely performed.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should definitely NOT look wind swept after a facelift.

+1

Hi.

It's hard to know without pictures, but it doesn't sound good.  Sit tight and be optimistic for three months.  A revision facelift repositioning the deep tissues upward is usually possible.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Windswept look after facelift

+1

I agree that it is too early to look critically at your results.  Things will change as your skin settles and the swelling resolves.  It is quite normal to look "strange"or overtightened at this time...should this persist after several months it may be the result of the direction or vector of lift that he/she did in surgery.  Discuss this with your surgeon at your follow up visits.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Avoiding the Nike Swoosh After Facelift Surgery

+1

My initial answer to your question is that "it is too early too worry." The windswept lines that you refer to are often called either the "joker deformity" or the "Nike swoosh." The skin only lift is most commonly associated with this problem.  However, it sounds as though you are under the care of an experienced surgeon who, I presume, performed a deep plane or SMAS lift rather than a skin-only lift. In which case, I am sure "it is too early to worry" and this will probably resolve with time as your swelling will resolve. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon