Is It Normal for TT to Feel Lower Belly Swelling That is Hard After 13 Weeks?
- Asked by 1457anon in Sacramento
- 3 years ago
I had tt with lipo flanks and lower back, after 13 weeks all of my lower belly swells and gets hard/thick feels tight towards the afternoon. Still wearing full compression garment. Not sure if it just fat under skin or hard scarring tissue since the top half above belly gets tight but not hard. Once swelling goes down in the am the lower belly is still hard/thick.
Tummy tuck Swelling?
Thank you for the question.
As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment.
Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues. This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity or at the end of the day. Patience is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle. this may consist of blood ( hematoma) or serum (seroma). This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound may be helpful). Treatment consists of aspiration; several episodes of aspiration may be necessary.
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication) of the rectus muscles. These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year (or greater) a complete skin redraping to occur.
I hope this helps.
Hard tummy after tummy tuck
Firmness or hardness in the lower abdomen following TT can be indicative of compromised vascular supply to the fat or a collection of blood. It is not uncommon for the swelling to be worse at the end of the day due to impaired lymphatic circulation. Why are you wearing the garment at 13 weeks? This could be worsening the problem.
Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.