Tightness and Numbness in Neck 6 Months After Lift , Is this Normal?

I had a lower face and necklift 6 months ago. I have this unbearable tightness, numbness and full feeling in my neck under my chin and around my jaw line. I've seen my surgeon as well as my internist and they don't know why I'm feeling this sensation. They put me on antibiotics thinking maybe I have a blocked salivary gland. I've been on augmentin for 6 days now and feel the same. Has anyone had a patient with this problem? The next step is an ENT which I would like to avoid. Thanks

Tightness and Numbness in Neck 6 Months After Lift .

+1

Your plastic surgeon may have inserted a sling from mastoid to mastoid that would cause tightness. Another possibility might be that there is scar tissue in that area, which would also cause tightness. If it happens to be scar tissue you would need a cortisone injection to soften the area.

Tightness 6 month post-op

+1

Based on what you are describing it appears that it may be related to your sensory nerves.  This could take a full year or more to improve and it helps to be patient as long as it is not getting worse.

Sam Naficy, MD

Tightness and Numbness After Neck Lift

+1

Numbness and tightness after a neck lift can be due to suture reactions (if the muscles of the neck were tightened), compression of nerves or other tissue from scar tissue, and salivary gland blockage. I cannot give specific advice without an evaluation, but Botox or steroid injections in the affected area may be something you could discuss with your surgeon as a possible treatment of the symptoms.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numb and tight six months after neck lift

+1

There should be a snugg feeling after a neck lift, and some numbness which lasts about three months for most. What you have is not the norm and seems to have your surgeon puzzled.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com