Is it normal to have swelling in the cheeks and bruising 5 weeks post lower transconjunctival bleph? (photo)

My left cheek is more swollen and I still have that chipmunk look. Also, bruising still red 5 week post op. Should I be concerned? My doctor told me to go back in 6 weeks for a visit and did not seem concerned, but I'm rather concerned at this point.

Swelling/Bruising five weeks after surgery

+1
Overall your result looks fine and as expected. Swelling & Bruising can sometimes last longer than anticipated. 
Bruising has a tendency to "sit " where the soft eyelid skin changes to the firmer cheek skin. Think of it like the bruising is sitting on a "shelf". 
In any case it is always the Best to call your Surgeons office with any concerns and questions.

Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after a TC blepharoplasty

+1
The degree of bruising an individual experiences after surgery will be different.  Your bruising has lasted longer then usually expected but I see on evidence of any other problems.  If it is a concern to you follow up with your plastic surgeon.  

Is it normal to have swelling in the cheeks and bruising 5 weeks post lower transconjunctival bleph?

+1
It s possible but very rare to see this. Best to seek in person visit with your surgeon to discuss in detail... 

Bruising and swelling can be normal at 5 weeks post-op bleph.

+1
This is especially true after a fat repositioning.  It is also very common if a patient has had more bleeding than normal during a surgery.  I would recommend some warm towels to help speed up the healing.       

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post op swelling

+1
Generally speaking facial swelling after this type of procedure often mostly resolves very quickly in just a few weeks.  Small amounts of swelling can persist a good bit longer.  Occasionally however the swelling can be very prolonged - several months.  Discoloration and fullness can be quite prolonged in these cases.  It will eventually go away.

Good luck.

David Lowe, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

Yes unfortunately this type of bruising is completely normal after transconjunctival blepharoplasty.

+1
The bruising does bring its own swelling.   Overall you look to have a very nice early result.  I don't think you should be concerned about this.  Some surgeons might offer laser of fotofacial to help speed up the resolution of the last bit of bruising.  However, even without this treatment this bruise will clear.  While my crystal ball does not tell me when this will clear, it is likely to be in the next couple of weeks.  As it goes, the swelling will also resolve.

Swelling after lower eyelids

+1
Swelling after lower eyelids
In patients undergoing a simple transconjunctival blepharoplasty, one should expect only minimal if any swelling after 5 weeks. Ask your doctor if you has a more advanced procedure, like fat transposition. In this case, you still could have some residual postoperative swelling. Your doctor should be willing to see you at any time to answer your questions and concerns

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon