Is It Normal to Swell Up 3 Wks Post Mini TT Just Below Navel?

I am 3 wks post extended mini tt with muscle repair. I noticed that since I transition from a real tight girdle to a stage 2 compression girdle from Marena group, I have swelling in my lower abdomen and some discomfort. Is this normal? Could I be lacking compression?

A good compression garment can make all the difference

+2

Definitely check with your surgeon to make sure there's no other issue going on, but your analysis is probably correct. If you're in Miami there are some excellent sources for custom made compression garments we use at our office (the ones imported from Colombia are the best). The right compression should be comfortable, decrease swelling and optimize your shape.

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

You may be simply experiencing normal swelling after tummy tuck surgery. However, it would be in your best interest to be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to rule out “abnormal swelling” (seroma)  they can be treated.

Swelling of abdomen

+1

Being that you are only three weeks post mini tummy tuck, it is pretty normal to have swelling for several months.

Sudden swelling in lower abdomen after tummy tuck

+1

I occasionally see this and find that it is due to gathering of the garment around the mid-section. It acts like a tourniquet which then makes the tummy below this area swell. This is similar to the way an ankle swells below a very tight stocking.

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes this can be normal.  Sometimes the swelling settles in the lower abdomen area.  It should shrink with time but you can always talk to your Plastic Surgeon and get his opinion.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Up 3 weeks after Tummy Tuck

+1

Regarding: "Is It Normal to Swell Up 3 Wks Post Mini TT Just Below Navel?
I am 3 wks post extended mini tt with muscle repair. I noticed that since I transition from a real tight girdle to a stage 2 compression girdle from Marena group, I have swelling in my lower abdomen and some discomfort. Is this normal? Could I be lacking compression
?"

With a MINI Tummy Tuck you had undermining only on the abdominal wall below the belly button. Although SOME swelling is commonly seen it should NOT get worse 3 weeks after surgery.

I would first check with your surgeon to make sure you do not have a fluid collection which could account for your symptoms. I have used compression garments for years and can tell you that they are often associated with more potential problems than with any documented benefits. If a garment is too tight it can interrupt blood flow through the area of the tummy skin which was lifted as well as make it hard to take deep breaths and worse of all may slow blood flow through the deep veins increasing the risk of blood clots. In other words, while some support may give you mental, if not proven, reassurance that things are not "falling out" , harder compression may be problematic.

Dr. Peter Aldea