Is It Normal to Have Stitches Removed 12 Days Post Blepharoplasty?

Hello

+2

Usually in our practice we remove sutures at 5-7 days. Each practice is different, depending on the suture material.

Blepharoplasty Sutures

+1

The skin has its own natural ability to heal itself and since eyelids are thin, they normally heal fairly quickly. At my practice, Cape Fear Aesthetics, I typically remove sutures from the eyelids 5-7 post op. One has to remember that while twelve days seems a little lengthy, all practices are different and it depends on the suture material/type your surgeon uses.  “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal after Bleph

+1

For a routine Upper Eyelid cosmetic blepharoplasty I remove the sutures around postop day 5.

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Sutures can be removed at 5-7 days

+1

The eyelid skin is very thin and heals quite quickly in most circumstances.  I generally remove sutures at 5-7 days following surgery.

Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing for suture removal after blepharoplasty

+1

Suture removal after blepharoplasty is dependent on the folllowing variables

• The surgical approach used.
    • Transconjuctival approach:  no skin incision in the lower eye lid.  Usually no sutures are needed to repair the incision.  If a suture is placed, this usually doesnt need to be removed. 
    • Skin incision.  Usually removed 5 to 10 days; see below.
  • The method used to close the eye lid incision
  • Subcuticular repair: the suture is placed under the skin so as to avoid and kind of suture marks on the skin especially if it is left in longer than 5 to 7 days.  These sutures can remain for up to two weeks if needed.
  • External skin sutures:  These need to come out at the latest 5 to 7 days post surgery as they can leave suture marks and also create milia (white bumps on the skin).

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal after blepharoplasty

+1
Twelve days is very late to have sutures removed. The eyelids heal very quickly and I remove sutures much earlier to avoid suture marks.

Suture removal after blepharoplasty

+1

Suture (or stitch) removal after blepharoplasty is dependent on the type of suture used and the preference of the surgeon.  My personal preference is to leave the sutures in for about 7 days.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon