Is It Normal to Still Have These Track Marks 10 Weeks After Neck Liposuction? (photo)

I had a lower facelift and neck liposuction mid November. My neck profile looks great but I still have all these lumpy track marks on my neck. I have been doing light massaging per my PT's advice but with no change. Do I just need to be patient and will they eventually go away?

Is It Normal to Still Have These Track Marks 10 Weeks After Neck Liposuction?

+1

That is pretty impressive rippling at this point in time I do agree with the massage as a way to try to unfurl the skin and have it redrape. It is from the liposuction going into the same path repetitively. It might require a touch up surgically if it does not get better over the next few months.

+1

It is very common to have those lines after Lipo of the neck so keep doing massage and it usually gets better with time, and it may be 6 months or so...I have patients use their thumbs and do circular massage throughout the day...And it usually gets a lot better....

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Neck lumps and ridges get better with time

+1

You have more irregularities than normal but the best option is still to be patient. Massage and ultrasound will not hurt and may speed up improvements. Time is likely to reduce some, but not all of the contours and ridges present.

Neck irregularities after liposuction still persisting after 10 weeks may be prolonged because of any number of the following: extensive liposuction with poor quality skin, more than average bruising and small hematomas that prolong the recovery, low grade infection or a combination of the above.

For patients who have a lot of skin laxity, neck muscle laxity  or a lot of fat in this area pre-op, optimal skin contours are rarely possible. I have found SmartLipo TriPlex to produce better results than what I was achieving with VASER and small cannula tumescent liposuction in the past but technology can not overcome anatomy. Discussing all options and understanding the limitations and risks associated with different approaches is important for every patient before you have a procedure.

Dr. Mosher

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Post Lipo Marks - Will They Improve?

+1

By ten weeks, most of the recovery should be complete regarding a liposuction procedure. It appears that you are having a prolonged edema of this area as well. It is difficult to address this without seeing you in person, but it is possible that ultrasound would help. Also, if you had too much skin prior to your procedure, it could be that you are just demonstrating the redundant skin that still exists. 

Stay in close contact with your surgeon or even get a second opinion, but bring your pre-op photos to the visit.

Vincent Marin, MD