Is It Normal for Your Skin to Feel Like Sandpaper on Your 4th Day After Fraxel Re:store?

I had Fraxel re:store fri it's now Monday. My skin is so dry & is flaking a little around my nose & mouth. There's tiny brown spots that make it look like there is dirt on my face. I'm not as swollen or as red as I was. Is this normal? How could you wear make up with your skin so rough? When should the roughness go away? I've stayed home since fri but I have school later on today & work early tomorrow morning is it ok to wear liquid foundation (physicians formula. I did this for acne scarring.

Rough Texture is Normal-Keeping Skin Moist is MOST Important

+2

Your skin texture and condition is totally normal as you are still in the beginning phase of the healing process.

• During the first 24 hours after treatment (Saturday), your skin should have felt as though it is sunburned and appeared pink or red.
  • This is then followed in the next 24-48 hours(Sunday and Monday) by swelling and a darkening effect referred to as bronzing. 
  • Once the skin has bronzed it will then start to peel around days 5-10, (which for you will be Thursday-Monday).  During this time you may experience minor itching or flaking.
  • MOST IMPORTANT, you should keep the skin moist and hydrated and DO NOT pick at or attempt to speed up the peeling process because if you do you run the risk of infection, hyperpigmentation, or scarring.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sand paper skin texture is temporary after Fraxel

+1

You will often feel a bit rough after Fraxel.  This occurs in the first 3 to 7 days and the body sheds the lasered, damaged skin. Don't worry, it will resolve soon enough and your skin will be nice and smooth.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Roughness temporarily after Fraxel Restore for acne scars

+1

The energy settings used for acne scars is more significant than that for pigmentation. You are feeling some flaking skin roughness and some of the skin's removal of damaged collagen (microscopic epidermal necrotic zones). Ask your doctor what emollients and skin cleansing program they recommend for your skin type and for the type of procedure you had.

Ronald Shelton, MD