Is It Normal to Sign Financial Responsibility Form Prior to Agreeing to Plastic Surgery?

The surgeon's office consultant said I wasn't agreeing to the surgery but I was signing to understand the terms of payment. The form stated prices could change, the price was good for 90 days and terms of payment and cancellation fees. I think this is premature during first complementary consultation. I specifically told the surgeon and the consultant that I was seeking multiple consulations. Is this normal practice?

Financial form

+1

I would read the form very carefully. Although most practices probably follow this procedure of quoting fees at the first visit, my practice is to have the patient come in for two consultation visits before I quote any fees. I want to be sure I have customized any procedure before determining a price. This requires more communicating and understanding of the patient's situation, desires, and risks as well as discussion of alternatives and options. Once I know exactly what the patient wants and what is require, then I quote a fee. The same procedure can cost different amounts because they take varying amounts operating time.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Financial responsibility

+1

Theresa,

Thanks for you question. 

If I understand, they gave you a price and asked you to sign a form saying that you recieved the estimate of cost.  I think this is fairly normal practice. I do something similar.  The form in my office does not contract you to having surgery, but gives some specifics about payment timing and to whom, if you wish to procede with surgery.

I think you will see something similar at most places.

Good luck finding the right Plastic Surgeon!

Gordon Lewis, M.D.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon