Is This Normal Septorhinoplasty Recovery?

I had my septorhinoplasty w/ turbinoplasty done on Tuesday, so it's only been 3 days recovery, but I'm worried about several things My sutures, they look weird and the skin is bulging around them, is this normal? Will it heal normally or lumpy? Also, I am still really badly congested, I can't taste anything and swallowing Is hard. The swelling & bruising around my face is going down (except for bulges in columella) but I still feel just as bad as I did when I came out of surgery.

Is This Normal Septorhinoplasty Recovery? Is This Normal Septorhinoplasty Recovery?

+1

If there is any major concern, your surgeon should examine you.  The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more.  Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary,  etc.

3 Days Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Most of the unusual appearance of the nose and the suture lines -- as well as the problems with congestion -- within the 1st week or two following rhinoplasty, are due to normal swelling caused by the trauma of the surgery itself.  Surgery is done inside as well as outside the nose so there will be swelling, and the consequences of that swelling, found both inside and outside.  The contours around the sutures will smooth out considerably within a couple of days following suture removal.  The internal and external nasal congestion will subside considerably during the first month, but may hang on for many months.  However, beyond the first week, there should be continuous improvement.  Taste returns with the ability to move air through your nose.  Stay in close contact with your clinic/surgeon and make sure they know how you are progressing and about any concerns that you have.  If you think that the amount of congestion you are having is abnormal, there is a very small chance of infection or collection of blood under the internal lining of your nose that could be contributing and that might need attention.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon