What Are "Normal" Sensations After Revision Rhinoplasty

I had revision rhinoplasty a week ago to correct an open roof deformity (without an osteotomy) and inverted "v" deformity. Spreader grafts (septal) were used to address both. My cast is off and although the pain is gone, I am now experiencing a feeling of pressure on my whole nose. It feels like the cast is back on, as if someone is holding my nose very tightly. Is this normal? What are some feelings patients describe experiencing as they are healing? Thank you in advance.

+2

The pressure or tight sensation may be nothing more than typical post Rhinoplasty swelling.  Give your Rhinoplasty Surgeon a call and asl his/her opinion.

Sensation after revision rhinoplasty

+2

The ragnge of sensatiions is very wide after rhinoplasty. First, you want to make sure that the pressure you feel is not from an infection, or a hematoma, but rather from normal swelling. I would check with your surgeon. 

Because of the swelling present, and because the superficial nerves of the skin have been streched during the surgery, different sensation will be present for several months. Some of these are  as pressure, tingling, itching, and numbness, among others. These symptoms can persist for months if not years after surgery.

Periodic follow up with your surgeon will ensure that all your symptoms are expected.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. A revision rhinoplasty is a much harder surgery with a lot of internal scarring to cut through.  This can also be a reason for prolonged numbness.  This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Normal Sensations after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Relative numbness shortly after a revision rhinoplasty can cause different or "strange" sensations. Think about the fullness, tightness, and sensation of swelling we all temporarily experience after receiving local anesthesia in the dentist's office.  However, as Dr. Siegel said, talk to your surgeon.