Is It Normal to See a Small Stomach Pooch when Sitting After Tummy Tuck?

dear wonderful doctors, i am 26 years old single lady and was overweight, I made lots of efforts to lose 32 kilos over periods of time..i had full tummy tuck surgery a month ago and of course i am still swollen, my question is: does swelling exist in stomach area as well or only abdominal area? and when i sit i see a small stomach , is it normal or it should be completely flat??? thanks a lot

Bulge after tummy tuck

+1

You are still early in the post op period.  No conclusions about your result can be made for up to 6 months.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Tummy Tuck - Is It Normal to See a Small Stomach Pooch when Sitting After Tummy Tuck?

+1

It's hard to say anything specifically for you without being able to see you in person but, in general, (1) it takes a good 6 months to see the final results after a TT and (2) the upper abdomen may not be quite as flat as you would hope, depending on what you looked like before.  I am referring to the common anatomy in which there is relatively more excess tissue below the umbilicus that is SUPERFICIAL to the abdominal wall, while more of the fullness above the BB is due to fullness behind the abdominal wall.  You can help distinguish the two by tensing your abdominal muscles; if there's a lot of extra "stuff" left that you can grab, you will have that much better result from the TT.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Small "Pooch" when Sitting

+1

Even the flatest person exhibits a "pooch" wnen sitting upright or sitting and leaning forward. Try pinching the pooch hard with both hands in the center and then stand straight, if you had all your extra skin removed at the time of your tummy tuck, you cannot complete the attempt at straightening out. If on the other hand you are left with a good amount of the pooch on assuming the erect position then not enough tummy skin was removed.