Is This a Normal Result After Septorhinoplasty? (photo)

I got septorhinoplasty almost 5 months ago and i am depressed how my nose looks from the front and am so self concious now when i smile. I had deviated septum fixed, dorsal hump removed and deprojection of my nose done and NO TIP Work done. My nose looks great from the side profile but looks huge and like a shapeless potato from the front when i smile. Is it normal for it to look that way? Can steriod shots help? Please help!! thank you

It's possible to improve the frontal view, depending on what was done to your tip cartilages

+2

Hi. Forgive me if I try to address your frontal view by starting with your profile. When a hump is removed, it can make a nose look longer, so we often shorten the nose. Making the nose shorter can help the frontal view by presenting less of a vertical height of the nose. See my "Web reference" link for a morph I made of your profile view.

Since you had no tip work done, the tip of your nose probably didn't deproject, because deprojecting the tip of the nose, and shortening it, require complicated work on the tip. In my morph, I raised your tip and deprojected it.

Further, when a hump is removed, it's important to look at the very top of the nose, just below the eyebrows. If that part of the nose isn't reduced as well, the profile can take on a little bit of a Roman statue look, where the forehead seems to slide right onto the nose. You'll see in the morph animation that I brought that part of your nose closer to your face. If you find yourself thinking about a revision to get the frontal view looking better, you might think about these changes to the profile, too.

I personally don't think steroids would work very much this late after surgery. I would hope that at least part of the problem is due to the fact that no tip work was done, because that would make it more predictable to make some improvements: we are better at modifying cartilage than controlling the thickness of skin or scar tissue under the skin.

Web reference: http://facialsurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_BG.html

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

+2

I would not inject steroids.  Give it a year.  If you are unhappy with the results see the same surgeon or another for re-evaluation.   Tip work and other manuevers may be require to obtain the result you desire.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Is This a Normal Result After Septorhinoplasty?

+2

In my over the internet opinion you needed a tip revision so best to think about a re operation at 6 months post operatively. 

Rhinoplasty results

+2

Dear julierose2013,

1. I am not sure how your consultation went, if you did not want tip changes, then the frontal view will not change much as seen in your pics
  2. If you wanted tip work and he did not do them, you should bring this up with your surgeon
  3. Steroids will not help, as they only reduce swelling, and it sounds like you want a change in the way the tip looks
  4. If you are unhappy, you should talk to your surgeon and/or seek out a revision rhinoplasty expert

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Web reference: http://www.eosplasticsurgery.com/revision-rhinoplasty.html

Prolonged Nasal Tip Swelling

+2

Tip swelling from an open rhinoplasty, whether tip work was done or not, can persist for up to a year after surgery. While you said your tip was deprojected, I assume you did not mean that any tip narrowing was done. Even if one did not want any substantial tip narrowing done, it is usually help to do some tip suturing to counteract the prolonged swelling and tip widening that will occur from swelling and scar tissue. As this point steroid injections will not be helpful and all you can do is wait it out until a year and see what you think then.  A tip revision at that point can be performed to help narrow it.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Unhappy with rhinoplasty

+2

If you did not have any tip work done than there will be limitations on what differences you will see, especially from the front. It would be best for your discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/

Rhinoplasty results at 5 months

+2

Even at 5 months, noses will have some degree of swelling that will continue to resolve. If you were able to compare your nose with monthly photos for a year or more, you will continue to see the shape of your nose evolve. I recommend addressing particular areas of concern with your plastic surgeon. Steroid injections may not be the solution to your shape issues. Thank you for sharing your photos. Best wishes.

Is This a Normal Result ?.

+2

Many thanks for the question. If the tip plasty has not been performed  this is what you will get. You should get proper tip plasty done to be happy. This opinion is based on the images posted on not after clinical examination.Wish you good luck.

Web reference: http://www.dubaiplasticsurgery.co.uk/face/female-nose-job.html

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Change in Tip after Rhinoplasty

+1

If the tip was deprojected then---you did have tip work. A deprojected tip will tend to look wider even if the tip cartilages were not altered. That said- 5 months is still early and your tip may look very close to what it was when the swelling completely resolves. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, who may consider cortisone after examining you in person. Good Luck!

Web reference: http://sandiegoface.com/rhinoplasty/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon