Is It Normal to Have A Rash After Laser Resurfacing?

I had laser resurfacing 4 days ago and apart from the pain that i have this morning i woke up with what i believe is a rash all over my chin and cheeks , im so itchy but at the same time Im in pain and very red, hot and swollen. Is this normal?? , I dont know what to do :( ....Please help !!!!! thanks

Itchy Rash After Laser Can be Yeast or Heries Infection

+4

An itchy rash 4 days after Laser Resurfacing raises an alarm bell for your doctor so contact the doctor.

Most commonly an itchy rash after laser resurfacing indicates a yeast infection which can be easily treated with a medication called Diflucan.

However Herpes and bacterial Infections must be ruled out

Rash after laser resurfacing

+3

You must contact your physician immediately.

Any rash after laser resurfacing is potentially serious (skin infection or herpes infection) and needs evaluation.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Rash after laser resurfacing

+2
Itchy stingy red rash within days after laser resurfacing may be suggestive of secondary herpes infection. White pustules after laser resurfacing may relate to fungal infection. Yellowish crusting with pain after laser resurfacing is most likely secondary staph infection. Ideally, your laser surgeon should review possible post-op complications and take proactive steps to minimize potential problem.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Call your doctor today!

+1

Stop typing and pick up the phone! Your doctor needs to hear about these kinds of complications when they occur following ablative laser therapy. Any rash after laser resurfacing is potentially serious (skin infection or herpes infection) and needs to be seen by your doc.

Bobby Buka, MD

Rash after resurfacing

+1

I agree with the last doctor who answered.  A rash after laser resurfacing is not "normal" and may be due to a variety of causes.  Please contact your treating physician. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser Post-Op

+1

I would encourage you to contact your surgeon at once. Upon examination, your surgeon will be able to make a determination on fol ow-up treatment if necessary.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itchy rash after laser reurfacing @ 4 days

+1

Depending on the type of laser resurfacing, you would not likely be fully reepithelialized (new outer skin layer formed). You must contact your doctor at once, for the symptoms suggest possible infection, allergic reaction, or other similar condition which can be treated successfully if not ignored. It may delay your healing time or result in other complications if not treated immediately, so seek help at once. Good luck.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itchy painful rash after laser resurfacing

+1

Having an itchy rash after laser resurfacing can be a reaction to a numbing cream that was applied before the treatment or creams that you are using after. Painful rashes after resurfacing could be a sign of a herpes cold sore outbreak, and depending on which laser was used, it is very important that you tell your doctor immediately as it can cause scarring. If it is a bacterial infection it can get worse and scar and cause serious medical problems so call your doctor now and if you can't reach them, go to an emergency department to see if you need treatment for herpes and/or a bacterial or yeast infection.  If it is an allergic contact dermatitis to the creams then you will need different treatment for that. After your urgent care, be sure your doctor knows about the development if you didn't see them and get follow-up care from them.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Contact your Doctor

+1

Contact your doctor immediately. It is likely that you have an infection (yeast, bacterial or less likely viral).  It is also possible, but less likely that you are having an allergic reaction to something.  All of these need urgent treatment.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

NO! Call your treating doctor ASAP for treatment. Could be an infection, herpes, or allergy. CALL. From MIAMI Dr. darryl J. Blinski