Normal to Have Some Raised Skin That Looks Like a Scar 4 Weeks After a Laser Tattoo Removal?

I have had two laser treatments to remove my tattoo. It has been 4 weeks and my tattoo is still raised. It looks like it's going to scar. Will the raised skin go away?

Swelling after tattoo removal with laser

+1

Some people do have significant swelling after laser tattoo removal treatment. The body creates a reaction with immune cells which carry away some of the tattoo particles after they are fragmented by the laser. When the body produces a significant reaction, then inflammation can be triggered and collagen produced which, rarely, forms an elevated scar. Your doctor may need to inject a corticosteroid into the raised scar if there is a concern that this will continue worse for a while

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.