Is This a Normal Process for Veneers?

Three weeks ago, after having braces removed, impressions were taken for veneers (8 in total for the top front teeth). Today, hours before my appointment to have the veneers placed, I received a call from the dental office saying that one of my veneers had been damaged (shattered) in shipment and that it would be another week and a half to get it replaced and before I could get my veneers put on. Is this normal??? If the veneers can break in the mail, what are they going to do in my mouth?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Veneers are very strong

+1

Veneers are strong once bonded to the teeth. Porcelain can be fragile if under certain types of forces, which can certainly happen in shipment. But this is very rare. I am glad your dentist noticed at proceeded to have it redone.

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Porcelain veneers, cosmetic dentistry

+2

You are asking a very good question and yes veneers can be very fragile before being bonded on the teeth. They get their strength when they are bonded to the tooth similar to the tile being cemented to the floor.

• There are, however, many new types of porcelains that are much stronger than conventional veneers.  One example of this is an Emax veneer.  

If your veneers are bonded correctly, the bite correctly adjusted, and look great then you should be fine. 

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers are very durable after bonded in place

+1

Veneers are very strong once bonded in place because they're supported by the enamel.  However before they're cemented veneers are very fragile and can easily be damaged.  These days the bonding agents are so strong that we rarely encounter fractured veneers any more.  Sorry to hear that you have to wait a bit longer to get your veneers. Good Luck with your treatment.!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers are VERY strong once bonded in place

+1

While it is frustrating to have "things happen" there should not be any fear that this will be a problem.  Similar to tiles in our homes, the strength is in the bonded result and not the material alone.  Tiles alone can be very fragile, but once the floor is finished, even rolling a piano over the surface won't hurt.

Well constructed and placed veneers are VERY strong.  They should last you many years of wear and tear.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/veneers-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer broken in shipment

+1

Great question and so glad you asked. Veneers are very fragile prior to bonding, but once they are adhered to the tooth they are very strong and should last many years. It is a shame you have to wait, but such things do happen and remain confident in your dentist.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers are delicate before being bonded in place.

+1

If packaged carelessly the veneers can be damaged in shipping.  Once bonded in place the veneer is significantly stronger.  I would ask your dentist to have the lab make an exception and place your case ahead of others due to their neglegence and get it to you sooner.

Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.