Is It Normal to Have Pigmentation After Laser Treatment?

I had revlite laser treatment for light brown spots on my face yesterday. These spots turned really dark brown a few hours after the treatment and remain so dark colored. Is it a normal reaction? Will it go away? Do I need a second opinion? Very worried patient

Post Laser Treatment - Pigmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. This is a normal course after treatment.  The spots should turn dark in 24 hours, then fall off in 7-10 days, then leave a mild pink area as new tissue fills in. Sometimes microdermabrasion can peel these away if you want them to resolve quickly. If you develop dark areas that are equal to or darker than they were before, you may be developing  post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and need further treatment, especially if you have skin of color.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser procedures for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist