Is It Normal to Tell a Person with Nasal Trauma and Obvious Broken Nose to Use a Netti Po? (photo)

I had trauma to My nose and I heard the crack as IT happened. My nose on the right side now I can't breathe out of. It feels as if there is.something in there constantly rubbing against my nasal membranes inside my nose. I have been sneezing since the break. You can look at my nose and see an obvious indention where the trauma happened this is the same spot where I feel something rubbing internally. Dr suggested a netti pot?

Netti Pot Cannot Fix a Broken Nose.Need Rhinoplasty and probably Septoplasty

+2

Hi, Sabrina. Dr. Kotler, of DR 90210,  here.

Sure sounds like that nose injury broke your nose. Somewhat classical results: change in shape and change in breathing. That sensation you feel inside your nose is probably due to the deviated septum touching one of the inside walls of the nose. That was caused by the injury.

Netti Pot is good for flushing mucus from the nose but cannot cure the distorted architecture that resulted from the injury.

Suggest consulting with a nasal surgery " super-specialist", i.e., one whose practice is mostly nasal surgery. That class of surgeon generally includes those who can handle the outside issues and the inside ( breathing issues).

If such injuries at not corrected by ten days after surgery, the next opportunity is at least 8 weeks after the injury by which time the bone and cartilage have re-united and are strong enough for surgery.

Check out webites, read books about rhinoplasty, septoplasty, turbinate resection and all issues regarding returning your nose to its pre-injurry appearance --- or even better!!!

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author,SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON and

THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Internal Exam after Broken Nose

+2

An internal exam of your nose could determine if the sensation you have is due to structural abnormality.  If this is the case, a rhinoplasty could be performed to correct the deformity.

Using a netti pot following broken nose

+1

Sorry to hear about the trauma you experienced to your nose. It is possible the trauma led to deviation of your septum. Your nose may have also collapsed in that area due to the trauma. Your doctor suggested a netti pot to relieve some of your symptms. However, this will not cure the problem. From what you describe, it is likely that surgery will be necessary to correct the issue you are experiencing. In general, trauma to the nose can lead to:

1) Structural irregularities
2) Functional irregularities
3) Difficulty breathing

I would recommend a consultation with a qualified rhinoplasty surgeon to help determine the exact nature of your issue and how it may be resolved. Look for board certification and fellowship training to help ensure you are in good hands. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with fixing your issue.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose and Neti pot

+1

When a nose is broken an internal deviation of the septum can occur, also known as a septal fracture.  This can be also in association with a nasal fracture.  Most of the time when someone is hit hard enough both the nose and the septum are fractured creating a breathing problem.  A Neti Pot is simply used to irrigate the nose passageways in an attempt to clean out the nasal passageways, but will not improve the nasal fracture.  Surgery is indicated to reduce the broken nose and a possible spreader graft will be placed on the concaved side where the upper lateral cartilage has been fractured inward.

Broken nose

+1

You need to be examined by a plastic surgeon to determine what exactly is going on with your nose and if you might benefit from surgery to correct the problem.  It looks to me that you are a good candidate for surgery, but you should wait a few months to allow all swelling to resolve.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Is It Normal to Tell a Person with Nasal Trauma and Obvious Broken Nose to Use a Netti Po?

+1

You didn't mention whether the MD that made the suggestion to cleanse the nose was a plastic and cosmetic surgeon or an ER doctor.  While I believe it fine to cleanse and rinse out the inside of the nose...this clearly would have no impact on fractured nasal cartilage and bone.  I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and trained at a major trauma center in the US where we treated many traumatic nasal fractures.  After the tissue heals from the trauma, which typically occurs in 3  to 6 weeks, the aesthetic changes in the nose can be visualized.  The need for Rhinoplasty to aesthetically improve the shape of the nose can be determined at that time.  Hope this helps. 

+1

Yes you need surgical repair not a cleansing method. Best to seek in person evaluations from rhinoplasty surgeons. 

Broken nose needs surgical correction.

+1

Hi.

It is a good idea to keep your airways clean, but you will need a rhinoplasty to straighten your nose.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Nasal fracture?

+1

It is quite possible that you had a nasal fracture, but it is best to get examined by a rhinoplasty specialist.