Is It Normal to Have Open Sores, Uniformed Breast, and Different Shaped Nipples After a Breast Lift? (photo)

I had a mommy make over 6 months ago. I paid for a lift which he ended up NOT doing. I wanted a D cup and ended up with DDD. He agreed to go back and do the lift and for free. I am 2 weeks 2 days postop and have huge sores under both breast and my breast do not match each. My right one looks a whole cup bigger. I know its early but I am very worried. Could I sue for my money back, I do not want him to touch my body again, I am very unhappy. I am also having shooting pain in my right breast. Normal?

Is It Normal to Have Open Sores, Uniformed Breast, and Different Shaped Nipples After a Breast Lift?

+1

Some of this things about which you ask can't be answered without better photos, showing both breasts in one frame, for example, to consider side discrepancy. Preop photos are also needed before advising on outcomes.

As to the things I feel that I can answer, the breakdown at the junction of the veritical and horizontal incisions in not uncommon, and almost always heal without requiring anything but wound care. As to the areolas, these are typically incised to a round pattern, and it is not unusual for the forces caused by the healing incisions to change that shape some. The two areolas look to me to have quite similar shapes.

Whatever happened at the original surgery that led to the change of plan is something you would have to discuss with your surgeon, but it seems like he did make good on the original plan by doing the lift without a fee. 

Last comment is that this is not a forum for legal advice, and surgeons are a poor choice of legal counsel.  All the best. 

Common complications after a breast lift

+1

You have had your share of problems but none are totally unexpected following a breast lift surgery.  Healing is not always predictable.  If you are not satisfied with your plastic surgeon then seek a second opinion.  You are still early in the post operative period.  The open wounds will heal and your shape will improve over time.  Once you are 6 - 9 months post op you may consider a revision if needed.  

Post-operative issues after breast lift

+1

Thanks for your question. It is not exactly clear: did you have implants placed at your initial surgery? What was the reason a lift was not done (did they have to stop the surgery for safety reasons, for example)? The changes you show at this early post-operative period are not abnormal, or anything to get worked up about-- try to be patient. The nipples are typically cut with a pattern, and so it is very likely that they are actually identical to each other; however, in the early post-operative period their shapes may differ, depending on the relative "pull" of the adjacent tissue with the lift. I would expect this to normalize over the next 8-12 weeks. The "sores" you show are just a minor breakdown of the skin: this is in the area with the weakest blood supply, and typically has a lot of tension on it, further tipping the scales. This "spot" is the most common for small (or larger) areas of breakdown like you have. This typically heals with just local wound care (antibiotic ointment, small dressing or bandaid). The area will close in as it heals, so it will be much smaller when it is finally done. In the worst case scenario, if the scar there heals a little wider than the rest of the incision, it can easily be revised under local. Good luck, and remain patient!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon