Is It Normal to Have Numbness and Tingling 5 Months After a Mucocele Removal?

I had a mucocele removed last September. My lip is still numb and tingles when touched. I understand that there was probably some nerve damage. Is normal for this damage to take this long to heal? At what point would this damage be considered permanent?

Numbness and Tingling 5 Months After Mucocele Removal

+2

Hi Tom,

Numbness from surgical nerve injury may take fromsix to telve monhs to resolve.  It not better at 12 months, then it is likely permanent. I hope that your nerve function returns soon. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Nerve regeneration after surgery

+2

The tingling is a sign that there is a good chance the numbness will improve as more nerve endings are regenerating. It may take more than an additional year to regain most of the sensation and the twinges you feel will continue to improve in all liklihood.

Ronald Shelton, MD