Is It Normal That my Nose Tip is Numb Even Though the Dr. Didn't Cut or Change the Tip?

I had a rhinoplasty 3days ago, the tip of my nose is numb, although the dr didnt cut or change my tip? Is it normal to be numb and swollen?

Numbness

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. A revision rhinoplasty is a much harder surgery with a lot of internal scarring to cut through. This can also be a reason for prolonged numbness. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tip numbness without Tip-plasty?

+1

The numbness that occurs following rhinoplasty has little to do with the approach used. The sensation to the tip of the nose is provided mostly by paired nerves that exit just below the nasal bones and enter the soft tissue of the bridge on the way to the tip. Any dissection in this area can cause injury to these nerves, either by cutting or by causing nerve swelling from inflammation. Most nasal tip numbness will resolve with time.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Numbness on tip of nose

+1

It is definitely expected to have numbness on the tip of your nose only three days after surgery. In fact, you will probably have numbness for several months whether there was tip work or not. Don't worry about it, it is normal.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

Simply answer is yes. Because there are incisions interiorly in your nose to correct the other issue for giving adequate exposure. 

Nasal tip numbness

+1

It is quite common to have numbness in the nasal tip after rhinoplasty. Most of this sensation is due to swelling.