Is It Normal That my PA Doesnt Require a Pre-op Appointment Before my Breast Augmentation?

Breast Augmentation

+2

I would recommend you find a surgeon that provides you at least one appointment prior to any surgery of the magnitude of a breast augmentation.  Personally, I have a comprehensive first consult with my patient and send them home to continue their education and evaluation of literature provided and consents.  They then return for a second preop consult to answer questions and finalze decisions as to implant type and volume size.  I suggest you do more research and consider a second opinion.  I hope this information is helpful.

+1
I highly recommend that you choose a double board certified plastic surgeon that conducts a preoperative appointment one to two weeks prior to surgery. Please refer to my video, as to why a preoperative discussion is important.

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a Pre-Op?

+1

In my practice, we schedule a Pre-Op appointment up to 2 weeks before your surgery date.  There are Pre-/Post-Op instructions go over as well as consents to sign and I, personally, like to see the patient one more time before surgery.  If my patient does not need to see me because they are comfortable or I just saw them at their consultation, we do still schedule a nurse pre-op to go over instructions, common things to keep an eye out for and answer questions. Just as every patient is different, every office is different, but if you feel uncomfortable, talk with your surgeon and he/she should be able to explain what their policy is.

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

+1

Most Plastic Surgeons will have a preop appointment prior to surgery to go over risks and check size.  However, sometimes all of these things can be done on initial evaluation and the patient is ready for surgery on the date scheduled.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Pre-op Appointment Before my Breast Augmentation?

+1

Unless as part of the consult your surgeon reviewed all the risks and benefits and so forth, I don't see how a proper informed consent can be obtained without some sort of preop visit. Sometimes for patients who live hours away we will do this by phone and review the morning of surgery, but some form of give and take seems appropriate. 

Should you be seen before surgery?

+1

Every doctor may have different policies but MOST always see their patient for the pre-op and to confirm implant sizes etc.  Now if you have left it up to your doctor to choose for you, then its not as important but physical exams are still required by most facilities and that it be done in a timely manner to your surgery date.

Curtis Wong, MD

Pre-op visit before breast augmentation

+1

Every office practice is different. I for one usually see patients at least twice.  Once for their initial visit and a second time to nail down the implant volume, shape, etc.. and give all pre-op instructions, take photos, go over the procedure, etc..

Pre-Op Visit

+1

I think it is mandatory to have at least one visit with your surgeon before proceeding with surgery.  Also, if by PA you mean physician's assistant, I do not believe meeting with the assistant substitutes for speaking at some length with your surgeon.  If you have not had a visit with your surgeon during which you are informed of the surgical plan and the risks of surgery, and this visit has taken place on a day prior to the surgical date, then you should seek another physician.  

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

yeah it's kind of strange....Most Board Certified surgeons like you see on these posts do require it for Breast Augmentation. There is a lot to cover. And as a "yellow flag" the surgeons that I have seen NOT have a preop visits were not Board Certified..Some even meeting for the first time the day of surgery...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Preop appointment prior to surgery

+1

Many thanks for the question. I am sure there must be some confusion .Without a last visit to your PS before surgery where final discussion about the procedure ,post operative course and possible complications needs to be discussed,no PS can afford to operate. Please call his clinic and make sure he will see you before taking you to the operating table . I don't thinks any PS do it any differently. It may be mistake on some part of the staff of the clinic. I wish you good luck.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon