Is It Normal to Be Able to Move the Juvederm Around in my Lips?

I had juvederm injected a couple weeks ago, and it noticeably disappeared, but then today I was looking at my lip area and saw little lumps, so I pushed them down and kind of molded them back to the way they looked when I had the juvederm injected. Is this normal? Everywhere I read it says that juvederm stays in place, but I can pretty much mold it with a little pressure.

Possible but not seen it

+2

Nikki, I have read reports of fillers moving but have never read a report of this happening in the lips. That being said, there is always a first time. If it was injected in large "lumps" it is more likely that you might feel this. I would leave the lips alond and go back to the doctor that injected the. If you can feel them but can see nothing and they look good, might not need to do anything at this point as is not permanent and can be dissolved. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvederm for lips

+1

I have not been aware of any of my patients having moldable lumps from Juvederm weeks after the treatment for lip augmentation. Possibly some of the filler could be in a plane of empty space between the mucosa and muscle and the muscular contraction causing an accordion effect might concentrate the filler in focal areas and clnically resemble balls that you can then mold. Salivary glands can enlarge, unrelated to the fillers, but these are not moldable.  Mucoceles are usually located more towards the inner mucosa. See your doctor for follow-up if the appearance does not please you now.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Normal to be able to move Juvederm around in the lips

+1

After two weeks, the Juvederm should take a significant amount of pressure for you to move it around and you don't want to be massaging or applying that much pressure to the lips where the Juvederm was placed.  If you're concerned, you should go back to the MD that augmented the lips with the Juvederm and have it checked out.

Juvederm Normally Should Not be Molded at Home

+1

Usually when Juvederm is properly injected it will not move. It is interesting that you were able to mold it back into position with little pressure. Since you felt it was disappearing and now looks like it did after the injection, you should be careful to not put any pressure on the area and allow the Juvederm to "settle" into position. In time it will be likely to not move again. In the meanwhile, if it does move again, you may want to do simple, minor "adjustments" as necessary to keep it in place.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Juvederm injected in lips easy to displace

+1

Although most of the time Juvederm stays where it is injected, but depending on the depth and technique of injection, it can potentially migrate.  It is a smooth cohesive gel which makes it great for lip injections.  I would have your injecting physician look at the area.  If you press on it, you can potentially displace it from the area where it was injected, so I don't recommend doing that.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No, normally not.

+1

At first the result is very good. Either Juvederm nother other HA-injectable are able to move. But it is possible that Juvederm moves because you move your lipps every day. In the first days you might feel and see lumbs, but they will diappear. Maybe you mean the bruising and not Juverderm ?

Massud Hosseini, MD
Düsseldorf Plastic Surgeon

Does Juvederm Move?

+1

As a general rule, wherever the Juvederm is injected, it will stay.  That said, it is possible for the product to move, even weeks after injection.  Part of this has to do with the way the product was injected.  A large bolus will be easier to move around than a small amount.  For now, try your best to avoid manipulating the product unless it is lumpy.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon