Is It Normal for a Mother of 2 to Only Need Lipo of the Abdomen and Flanks?

I am a mother of two, I was a examined by a very reputable surgeon and was told that my muscles were not very spread apart and that with lipo I should recieve a good outcome (some loose skin, but a flat tummy) without having a full tummy tuck with mucle tightening. is this ever done with good results?

Liposuction of the abdomen and waistline

Liposuction can improve body contour and remove excess fat from the abdomen and waistline.  Clearly, this is an excellent approach to fat reduction in combination with diet and exercise.

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Liposuction versus tummy tuck

I envy you!

I have two patients who have had 2 and 3 children each, and both have the sexiest abdomen you can imagine!

It is possible to have liposuction if your muscle tone is good and you do not have very loose, hanging skin or stretch marks.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

2010 East First St.
Santa Ana , CA 92705

Liposuction of stomach often very successful after pregnancies.

1)  A lot of women have good skin elasticity.

2)  Liposuction technique matters a lot. Doing superficial liposuction (Gasparotti technique) as well as deep liposuction can really tighten the skin.  At the end of the liposuction, we also do superficial tunneling.

3)  So frequently a woman comes in requesting a tummy tuck, and we tell her she does not really need it.  There is no scar with liposuction, and the recovery is much easier.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

Without an exam it is difficult to say whether or not a tummy tuck is better for you than liposuction.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Liposuction without abdominoplasty

Plenty of women have had excellent reslts with just liposuctiton without abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). If the skin has good elasticity then liposuction may be all you need. If your surgeon is experienced and has a good reputation, you can listen to his advice. the liposuction can be done first and allow several months to heal before considering abdominoplasty.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Please don't have a tummy tuck unless you need one!

Yes this is a very common situation.  The liposuction can stimulate a lot of skin contraction.  The abdomen and flanks is an extremely common combination for women.  Many woman are talked into a tummy tuck I think primarily because it is a bigger surgery and some would rather do surgery than what they regard as a less interesting (boring) surgery.  It takes a certain type of individual to do a great lipo.  In particular it is important not to loose interested in the middle of the procedure.  Some surgeons are great at liposuction, some not so much.  

You are likely to be happy with the improvement you get from liposuction alone and you have avoided a big ugly scar at your bikini line and possibly around the belly button.  No matter how great the surgeon makes the improvement sound, this surgery will take about two months to recover from.  With liposuction, it is not unusual for people to go back to their work out in a few days.

9001 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211