Is it normal to have lumpy area after injection and will it smooth out? (photo)

I just received my first restylane injection today (Dec 6). The injection is for my upper cheek area (both cheeks). I noticed once I arrived home that I have a pouch (lump) in that area (it looks a bit strange and not natural and lumpy). I went back to the doctor immediately and he said that it would smooth out in about 24 /48 hours and not to massage it. I have now developed a slight separation that creates a crease.

Lumps after Injections

+1
Injections in the upper cheek area can often seem lumpy a day or two later.  I would wait a week to see the full effect. If there is any crease or swelling that you are unhappy with I would return to your treating physician to have it corrected.  I always bring my patients back two weeks after the injections to see the results to decide if any "touch-ups" are needed.

Is it normal to have lumpy area after injection and will it smooth out?

+1

It is still very soon after your treatment and there is swelling present that can affect the appearance of the outcome. I would recommend giving it some time for the swelling to go down before coming to any conclusions about the result. It can take up to two weeks for the final result of treatment with filler to be evident. Following the advice of your physician would be best, as they know the extent of your treatment and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

Its still very early from your initial visit and suggest waiting at least 2 weeks for the product to settle

Restylane bumps

+1

Let me ask you a question: when you get a flu shot, do you have a lump on your arm? Of course you do. The face is nothing different except that you have less cushioning and become more aware of it. This swelling will take time to go down. I wouldn't say 24-48 hours but a week. After that point, if you have concerns, return to your physician. Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD