Post-op: Is it normal to have lumps from Juvederm Voluma four days after getting the procedure?

Four days ago, I had Juvederm Voluma injected into the upper cheek area and also along the jawline. I also had regular Juvederm placed in the tear troughs and in the nasolabial folds. I am still noticing some swelling and a lump between the under eye and cheek, and my cheeks feel very firm and hard. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to speed up the healing process, like taking supplements? I feel really self-conscious and want to take care of this right away. Thanks for your help!

Follow up with your doctor

+1
Thank you for your question. Voluma is the newest filler to last two years instantly restoring volume to the mid-face area. If you have lumps I recommend a follow up appointment with your doctor to make sure you are healing properly.

Lumps after Juvederm Voluma

+1
It is normal to have some mild swelling for a few days following any type of filler injection, including Juvederm Voluma. However, within 7-10 days, I would expect most of the swelling to subside. It is also possible to get some lumps depending on how the product was injected or if it was not molded after injection. These can likely be addressed with massage or with an injection of hyaluronidase, if needed. I would recommend contacting your injector with any questions or concerns and for a follow-up evaluation.

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Lumps Four Days After Treatment

+1
Hi TD,

Voluma is a great product and our practice has been very pleased with the natural results.  Unfortunately there may be side effects with any injectable filler.  One of the nice aspects of Voluma is that it can be molded after injection.  Best to contact your injecting physician for advice.  We are not aware of any oral supplements that would help.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Lumps from Juvederm

+1
You should expect swelling after any filler, but even more after Juvederm. At 4 days out, it would be difficult to tell what is swelling and what is a lump of product. Sometimes water surrounds the product for a bit, causing it to swell, but once this goes away, the lump is perfectly fine. I would ask you to keep your hands away from the area, you can take Arnica (a natural supplement that helps with swelling and bruising), and maybe even to still ice a bit. Wait about 10 days total and then return to your injector. At that point swelling should be mostly resolved and you can properly assess any lumps.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Swelling after fillers

+1
Some swelling after filler injection is normal. Lumps are often to product that is not adequately smoothed. I warn patients that if they feel lumps, they can either gently massage them of return to my office for me to work on it.  Always good to ask your doctor.

Lumps after voluma

+1
At 4 days, up to 20% of people experience swelling or firm lumps from swelling in the areas of injection. If the lumps feel warm or are red then you should see your doctor to rule out infection. Otherwise, the firmness and lumps should start to resolve and your cheeks should feel normal. 

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist