Normal to Have a Lot of Asymmetric Tip Swelling 8 Months Post Open Rhinoplasty?

My left side is more swollen and there is a bump inside the top of my nose next to my septum and on the right side I feel a bally/knot under my skin. I also formed a Callus on the top of my bridge that is noticeable in pictures and people think it's a bruise sometimes. AND my nose looks horrible in pictures.My Surgeon hasn't been much help and just says it should all heal in time. I don't feel convinced especially after coming across some bad reviews about him AFTER I had the Surgery.

Must wait at least 12 months to assess issues at hand

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

At this point you have to be patient and wait for at least 12 months (from the time of your surgery) to really assess the issues at hand.

Nasal Asymmetry at 8 months after surgery

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially that it has been 8 months after your surgery. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is not uncommon especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

With the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS