Is this a normal incision for cosmetic blepharoplasty? Why would my Dr extend into the brow vs. the crow ft? (photo)

Will this scar? I am 48 and I had excess skin and a bit of droop in the outer corner of my eye, but nothing major. I am concerned about this incision extending into the brow vs. into the preferable crow feet area. Will there be a visible scar extending to the brow?

I would be concerned as well.

+1

Yes this scar will be visible. It will fade in time. No, this is not the normal location for a blepharoplasty incision. As you can plainly tell it extends laterally in a way that no crows feet line would. The whole point of designing blepharoplasty incisions the way we do is to try and align excisions like this into the crows feet line. Even if you do ultimately heal well (and I hope you do and it looks like you should) this surgeon is a BOZO who deserves your scorn for making you fret about how you will heal. As you can tell, colleagues will stand up an defend him/her and I am sure he/she has some heroic story about why he/she needed to make the incision this way. Please let him/her take care of you as you recover from surgery. It is easy for these things to get us really upset. It would be understandable for you to want to see another surgeon but these really do need to heal. I would ask your surgeon about the incision and I would let him/her know how unhappy you are about the appearance. I would strongly advise you to be very patient in letting this heal. Often the original incision heals better than any revision.

Blepharoplasty incision placement

+1

Your surgeon designs the incision according to the extent of excess skin and the anatomy he or she encounters. There are no pictures posted to evaluate the pre-operative condition. The goal is to remove the excess tissue and help lift the eyelid. It is not unusual to have the tail of the incision slanted slightly upwards. If the incision is forced into a lower crow's feet line, it will lower the lid scar and the brow. You are only 4 days post-op and it will take 2-3 months before you will see the final result which I expect will be good based on the picture you've posted.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon