Is it normal for implants to feel hard almost 1 year post-op?

Hi I have anatomical breast implants 480cc textured implants I have them done almost a yr but they still feel hard is this normal? My surgeon is in another country so I sent him pictures which he said I look fine my partner says the same there no different from my orginal only fuller but if you were to hug me you can feel the hardness even though they behind the musle I've read up on capsular and seen pics mine don't look like this at all please advice would be much appreciated thank you

Hard feeling breast implants

+1

If you have a form stable implant such as the Allergan 410 or Mentor CPG (check your implant card), it may be normal for your implant to feel harder than a conventional silicone implant. I doubt that you would have symmetric bilateral capsular contractures this early.

Get an opinion from a local Plastic Surgeon if your is not available when you have questions about your implants!

+1

It sounds like you are worrying about your breast implants and need some expert advice only available from a Plastic Surgeon familiar with all available breast implants. For those of us with a large experience using highly cohesive round and anatomical textured implants for cosmetic breast augmentation, there are a few differences that patients notice.

These implants, Natrelle 410, Natrelle Inspira TS and Mentor CPG's have more cohesive and therefore more firm silicone gel filler. Patients with these implants who do not have a capsular contracture have natural but slightly firmer feeling breasts that those with less cohesive gel or saline filled implants. Textured implants still move naturally after healing is complete  but tend to slide around much less than smooth shelled implants. There are trade-offs with all choices but the more cohesive gel implants are associated with an overall lower risk of revisional surgery and therefore have become very popular in Countries where all choices are readily available. This includes many European Countries and Canada.

Speak to a PS that can advise you and put your worries to rest. Good luck.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Stiff Breast Implants (Super Cohesive)

+1

Regarding: "I have anatomical breast implants 480cc textured implants I have them done almost a yr but they still feel hard is this normal? My surgeon is in another country so I sent him pictures which he said I look fine my partner says the same there no different from my orginal only fuller but if you were to hug me you can feel the hardness even though they behind the musle I've read up on capsular and seen pics mine don't look like this at all please advice would be much appreciated thank you"

There is NO way to tell for sure if your breast implants are scarred in or not without an examination. Your history suggested you had super cohesive implants placed in which are much stiffer than the implants we commonly use in the US. It is for this reason that I doubt these implants would become popular in the US even when they become widely available.

With so many good surgeons in Ireland, it is a shame you went elsewhere for your surgery. Unless you want to go visit your surgeon, you are best advised to see a good local surgeon to make sure the hardness is implant based and not caused by capsular contracture.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hard implants

+1

You have anatomical implants that I will assume are silicone gel and most likely they are the gummy bear hi cohesive gel implants.  These implants are much firmer than implants that are the standard gel implants.  They are textured so they don't move and stay in one position.  If they become harder or start to hurt I would go back to your plastic surgeon or see someone near you.  Good luck

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Rule out capsular contracture

+1

The only way to rule out capsular contracture is to undergo evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon.    I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a surgeon in your city,  you can find one on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website.   All the best in a safe recovery.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

Gill Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

Paul S. Gill, MD

Anatomical Implants

+1

It is difficult to say if you have a contracture or not. If your implants are the super cohesive gel then they do tend to be much firmer then the saline or regular cohesive gel. I understand that your surgeon is not in your area, however is there another plastic surgeon you could visit to get a physical examination? I would recommend doing that so you have a more definitive answer.

Bernard Shuster, MD
Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

Normnal for breasts?

+1

It is difficult to say what your breasts should feel like without an exam.  If they are very hard then you may very well have a capsular contracture.