Is It Normal to Be So High 12 Days Post Op? (photo)

Pre op: 32A Rib cage 29 inches Pear shape body PS gave me 465cc HP saline filled to 500. I showed him pictures of the look I was going for (full D) Please let me know if I should worry about the way my breast look as of now. Thank you!

Breast implants look

+2

The initial swelling after breast augmentation make the implants look high on the chest wall.  This is because the swelling expands the whole area, and the bottom, or infra-mammaru fold, is a fixed crease and will not yield, while there is room above the implant for the swelling to expand.  This is most evident in young thin patients' breasts that have not been already expanded during pregnancy.  Although is appears unusual and disconcerting, try your best not to focus on it (easier said than done), and patiently await fot the swelling to abate and the implants to drop into place.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Give it time

+2

Hello. Twelve days is not near enough time for the implants to settle. Your implants will not settle for about another three to four months. Until then the best thing you can do to help them settle would be to massage and continue using any compressive dressings your surgeon had provided.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

12 days post implants

+2

It is fairly common for implants to ride a bit hight during the early post-op period because of swelling and spasm of the muscle.

+2

You know that 12 days is VERY early in the healing phase. The implants are riding high because the muscle is in a semi contracted state and has not released to allow the implants to descend into the inferior pocket. Best to discuss with your surgeon. 

High profile, high volume, saline implant have a lot of upper pole fullness

+2

Thank your for the question and the photos.  It is quite common to have a lot of upper pole volume at 12 days after a breast augmentation.  This is magnified by the use of saline implants, HP implants, high volume implants, and placement of the implants in the sub-muscular position as you have undergone.  Your plastic surgeon can guide you trough this process but I am confident your breast shape will improve with time.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Early postop breast augmentation results

+2

Hello 'Danielle27', thanks for your question.  Your results look as expected at this stage in healing.  Under 2 weeks is still very early in the grand scheme of healing after surgery, especially when you used fairly large implants for your small frame to go from an A cup to a full D cup.  These aggressive augmentations always initially look high and prominent before the breast skin and soft tissue gradually relax to accommodate the new volume expansion.  Your breasts look symmetric without signs of infection or wound breakdown, which are good things.  I suggest having regular follow-ups with your plastic surgeon and have some patience as it will normally take a few months for the breasts to settle and achieve the smoother, rounded aesthetic results that you desire.  Hope that helps! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

High Implants 12 Days after Breast Augmentation

+2

Larger implants at 12 days are almost always a bit high.  Smaller implants may settle very quickly, but this is not what you wanted.  In addition, as implants drop one will usually drop more quickly.  Do not let this alarm you either.  You are very early, and you have to be patient.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Normal to Be So High 12 Days Post Augmentation?

+2

This is very normal in the early post operative, which you are in. Initially there is a significant amount of inflammation and scarring taking place. Over the next 3 to 6 months the swelling and the scarring process will abate while the soft tissues accommodate thus allowing the implants to "fall" into position, although the implants may settle at different times.

At this point in your recovery I would encourage you to be patient and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. Your results should improve over time. I hope this helps. Thank you for the question and your pictures. Best wishes.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Breast augmentation recovery

+2

Given the HP nature of your implants, your "look" at 12 days would be considered within the normal bell curve,  Things will relax and settle over the next 3-4 months.  Stick close to your doctor for best advice.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Is It Normal to Be So High 12 Days Post Op?

+2

It is quite common for under the muscle implants, particularly larger ones to bye "high riding" in the first few months after surgery. 

Submuscular implants are sitting as if they are at the bottom of an envelope. The breast fold, like the bottom of the envelope keep the implants from descending. At the upper pole is a large space under the muscle and above the ribs, and that space goes up to the clavicle (collar bone). Typically the implant position looks fine at surgery. As the patient awakens, the relaxed pectoralis muscle contracts, pushing on the implant. This displaces the silicone (or saline) which bulges into the upper pole, the only direction with room to expand. The lower pole of the breast may seem to empty out. But the implant itself doesn't actually move. As the muscle relaxes over several months, the upper pole no longer bulges and the implant position looks like it did in surgery.

Stay in touch with your surgeon, follow the post op instructions, don't worry about the upper pole fullness. Best wishes.