Normal Healing After Punch Biopsy?

I had a benign mole removed by punch biopsy from the sole of my foot three weeks ago, just below my 2nd and 3rd toes. The wound seems to have mostly healed, and the stitches are removed, however the top layer of skin has not fully healed over and I still have discomfort and the sensation of a small lump there when I walk with full pressure on hard surfaces. Is this normal healing?

Normal healing after a punch biopsy.

+1

Hello

It often takes a bout 6-8 weeks for all the lumps and skin to heal after you have had a procedure like this.  Especially on the sole of the foot.  It can be uncomfortable during this healing phase and with scars on the sole of the foot, what you are describing is very common.  A scar is hard and lumpy tissue and when walking on it and placing all the pressure of your weight over it, the area will be painful.  THis is normal and will settle as the scar softens.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Punch biopsy of moles on feet with a bump and not fully healed

+1

You will need to allow it to heal. The skin should be growing over it. I would have to see pictures to fully figure out what is going on. You might need to clean it with vinegar and water and have vaseline on it for awhile.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after punch biopsy

+1

You may have a little scar tissue that remains after the biopsy which typically smoothens out and breaks down over a few months...try to be patient. If it doesn't improve after 3 months or so, best to speak with your physician to take a look at it as there are several ways to correct it. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon