Is It Normal to Gain Weight the First Couple of Days After a Tummy Tuck W/lipo?

I had a great tummy tuck with lipo just a couple of days ago..looks great so far. Jumped on the scale, very surprised to of gained 6 pounds....

Weight gain after surgery

+3

After any major surgery, the body tends to retain water; so this weight gain is completely normal.  Relax, drink lots of fluids, and avoid the scale for a couple of weeks.  It will take at least that long for your body to return to normal and rid itself of the excess fluid.  Good luck!

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain immediately after surgery

+3

Yes, it is normal to retain Sodium and water during and after surgery, which will increase your total body weight.  You will gradually mobilize this fluid, and your weight will return toward normal.  Local tissues will remain swollen for weeks to months, and as this swelling diminishes, you will lose even more weight.

Steve Laverson, MD

Absolutely normal..

+3

Weight gain after an abdominoplasty and lipo is completely normal and expected. It often takes 1-2 weeks to get rid of the excess fluid. Don't weigh for another week! Good Luck.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Temporary Weight Gain After Surgery Normal

+3

It is completely normal for patients to gain weigh temporarily after surgery, especially any sort of liposuction or body contouring procedures.  There can be major fluid shifts and fluid retention in the tissues, leading your body to hold on to water alot more then it usually does.  This is why I tell patients not to step on the scale for at least two weeks after surgery.  It can take that long for all of the excess fluid to be flushed from your system and have everything normalize.  Just be patient.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain after Tummy Tuck & Liposuction

+2

After most surgeries, the body retains water so this sounds pretty normal. You will start to lose the water weight soon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1
Weight gain after your surgery is caused by swelling and excess fluids that are trapped in your body. Please wear your compression garment and drink plenty of fluids as well as go to the washroom frequently to help ease the swelling. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Weight gain after surgery

+1

There are  several reasons why you m ay have gained weight after surgery. First you are not active, and second your body retians flujid during the first few days after sugery as a response to the procedure.

Is It Normal to Gain Weight First Couple of Days Aftr Tummy Tuck W/lipo?Answer:

+1

For sure!!!!!! I joke with my patients and tell them that the first few days they will think I had the Lipo machine hooked up backwards!!! Almost all patients retain water from surgery, even procedures other than Lipo!! Keep up on your fluid intake and it will flush out in the next few days!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain following a tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Weight gain after surgery, such as a tummy tuck and liposuction, is extremely common and normal. This is the result of the fluid infusion during surgery (IV fluids) and retained water associated with swelling. This will resolve with time and may take several weeks. Be sure to be somewhat active and don't overindulge in food (but also don't diet during this healing process).

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Weight Gain after Tummy Tuck?

+1

It is normal for patients to “retain” fluid after surgery. This will throw off your weight calculations until the fluid is mobilized ( and excreted). This may take a few weeks to complete.

Best wishes for the remainder of your recovery.