Is It Normal for Your Nose to Grow at a Really Fast Rate as a Teenager?

My nose is growing really fast. When I started secondary school (age 11) I had a normal sized nose with an ordanary shape. My nose started getting bigger and by the end of year 10 I had a huge nose and everyone always picked up on it but it was still a "normal shape" and was slightly curved in but now (half way through year 11, age 15) I have a large ridge on top. Is it normal for your nose to grow that fast and change that much in 6 months?

Nose Growth During Puberty

+1
What you described is normal, and is in fact somewhat expected. The teenage years are when most people go through the majority of their puberty stage, and are also a time when your body grows substantially. Though this does not necessarily mean that you will develop a bump or that your nose will double in size, if the structure for a bump or a wide nose is already present, it may develop further during this time. If you are worried about how you look and believe that a nose job can improve your self-esteem and image, I would suggest that you book a few consultation appointments with surgeons in your area in order to get a second opinion and see what a potential nose job can mean for you. 

Nose Growth and Rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to go through growth spurts. So long as you wait until at least 15.5 or 16 years old, then you will avoid interrupting the nasal and facial growth centers deep internal in the nose. Do not rush this and evaluate many surgeons.  Good luck to you.

Dr Ghavami

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Nose Growth as Teenager

+1

Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but many potential operations. Every patient is unique. Reducing the hump from a nose is the most common request for cosmetic nasal surgery. Humps are usually made up of both cartilage and bone, and come in various sizes and shapes. Reducing small humps is a relatively easier procedure, as compared to more extensive rhinoplasty surgery. Large bumps will require bone reshaping/breaking after the hump is removed.

A goal in nasal surgery is to recreate balance of the nose with the rest of the face. A small hump may be filed or rasped without needing more surgery. A subtle change in the nose may create a profound improvement in facial balance.

Teenage rhinoplasty patients sometime need to wait until the nose, face, and emotional state matures before proceeding with plastic surgery. The rate of nose growth is highest during teenage years, and slows down considerably by age 16 for girls and age 17 for boy, on average.

Only after a comprehensive nasal evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine the most appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Growth

+1

The difference between a pre-teen nose and a teenage nose is sometimes very drastic. The nose goes through mant aesthetic and even functional changes during puberty years. Think about how many young people you have seen with big noses and or bumps on their noses and I'll bet it is very few. Yet you see many adults with large noses and big humps. So obviously these changes can happen fast as you change during the years you have pointed out.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Growth of nose

+1

It is very normal for the nose to grow rapidly during puberty.  The growth should complete by the age of 16 or 17, younger for women

Sam Naficy, MD

Normal Nasal Growth as a Teenager

+1

It is possible for a nose to grow rapidly during puberty. That is why we wait for a young person to be physically mature before doing a rhinoplasty, which is usually 15 or 16 for a lady. I am assuming that the rest of your physical growth has been normal.

Nose grows fastest in the preteens

+1

You have made a very good observation, and the characteristic look of the pre and early teens is a nose large for the face. The preteen look is all lips and nose, and then the facial growth will gradually catch up. Friends may poke fun, but all are in the same boat at this stage of growth. Rhinoplasty becomes an option at age 16 or later when facial balance is better and the nose slows down.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Nose will grow through the years.

+1
It is completely normal to see changes and growth in your nose and face just like the rest of your body with puberty. The nose and facial structures will grow at different times and this is why we all have that very bad picture in a yearbook from these growth stages. The nose continues to grow at a very slow rate throughout your life and most of the growth patterns you are experiencing now should settle down and even out around the age of eighteen for most young adults. Many rhinoplasty patients who are uncomfortable with and dislike the appearance of their nose will have surgery after high school graduation before they leave for college or the work field.

Michael Elam, MD

Noses grow throughout life.

+1

Puberty is a big game changer.  Faces noses breasts and other things... Can grow rapidly.  You're completely normal.  The reason features tend to balance out is that not only does your nose grow but so to other parts of your facial skeleton.

While there can be dramatic changes during puberty tissues in our body with cartilage such and the ears and the nose tend to continue to slowly grow throughout life.  That is why you see older people with big ears and big noses.

At your age you should wait till these changes stabilize. If you're truly concerned about the size of your nose relative to your face discuss your concerns with your parents.

They can help to guide you to the appropriate physician if they feel is appropriate for you to consider rhinoplasty.

It is best to wait until skeletal maturity before embarking upon the surgery. 

Best wishes

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Fast growing nose

+1

Yes, it is completely normal for your nose to grow quickly. As you go through puberty your face will change dramatically. First the middle part of your face, including your nose will grow. Lastly your lower face, your jaw, will grow. This might not finish until age 18. That is why we usually don't perform rhinoplasty on males till 17 or 18 when we have a better idea of the facial proportions. Hang in there, it will get better as the rest of your face 'grows into itself".

Ronald Schuster, MD