Is it normal for the doctor to leave the operating room when he's doing lipo to do other consultations?

I had lipo on thighs and abdomen last week. The doctor said it would take approximately 3 hours. I was kept under general anestesia for 8 hours instead. It seems like the doctor met with other patients while I was out.

+1
I can't imagine doing liposuction on thighs and abdomen only, to last eight hours. This is something you need to discuss with your surgeon, why 8 hours instead of 3 hours? Are you healing well? In any case, a surgeon should never leave a patient under anesthesia in the OR unattended. It is the surgeon's professional and moral duty to attend the patient at all times while in the OR. The only way a surgeon can leave the OR if he/she gets incapacitated and cannot continue on with the surgery or there's a life and death emergency in the facility. You are assuming that your surgeon was seeing other patients in the facility while you were kept under anesthesia. Again, you need to have a discussion with your surgeon about your suspicion and get the facts. Good luck.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction took eight hours

+1
I do not know the reasons why, but eight hours is a really long time to liposuction to the abdomen and thighs. I would ask your surgeon for more details.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Surgeons do not leave the operating room during the case.

+1

if you were told that your liposuction would last three hours and it took eight hours there is definitely a problem. In general, surgeons don't leave the operating room during an operation.